USPS Express Mail - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
SoCal Reptiles
USPS Express Mail

I have shipped via UPS for many years and they have not let me down. I am now breeding veiled chameleons and the $35-$50 UPS shipping charge is kind of silly for a $30 chameleon. A lot of people have said "no thanks" because of the shipping charge. I have seen some veiled ads on kingsnake advertising they ship USPS Express Mail. Has anyone had good luck shipping chams through USPS? I care about my animals and I want them to arrive safely, but the price also needs to be reasonable for a $30 animal.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
InterExotics
Being completely honest I have shipped pacman frogs and a few beardies via USPS with no problems at all. I just stopped because of all the horror stories I started to hear about DOA's and very late shipments while shipping with USPS. I didn't want one of my critters to end up that way.

I did have one shipment arrive to someone's house second day when it was supposed to be overnight. The problem with USPS is they do not guarantee overnight to all areas. I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but when I shipped through them they told me as long as there were NO snakes and NO venemous reptiles there was no problem shipping them.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
InterExotics
Another note to add: When I did use USPS I always gave the customer the option between at least two shipping companies. Mine were USPS, Fed Ex, or DHL. (UPS is super expensive in my area)

Old 06-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
SoCal Reptiles
I have heard that having the package held at the post office for the receiver to pick up is a good idea. How do you set up that arrangement?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
LadyOhh
It is illegal to ship animals thru the USPS...

Fedex and UPS are the only two carriers that will accomidate live animal shipping.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Cat_72
While I don't recommend USPS shipping by any means, it IS allowed for certain animals and reptiles.

9.3.3 Small Cold-Blooded Animals
Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food or water or attention during handling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable (e.g., baby alligators and caimans not more than 20 inches long, bloodworms, earthworms, mealworms, salamanders, leeches, lizards, snails, and tadpoles).

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1064884

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
InterExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Reptiles
I have heard that having the package held at the post office for the receiver to pick up is a good idea. How do you set up that arrangement?
When you ship them out just tell them to hold it at the reciever's post office. It is a good option. It makes it so the animal spends less time sitting in a truck.

** I believe there might be a form or sticker at the USPS office that tells them to hold it at the office... I can't remember. I haven't shipped through them in a while.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
InterExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
While I don't recommend USPS shipping by any means, it IS allowed for certain animals and reptiles.

Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food or water or attention during handling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable (e.g., baby alligators and caimans not more than 20 inches long, bloodworms, earthworms, mealworms, salamanders, leeches, lizards, snails, and tadpoles).

Thanks, cat. That was the next thing I was going to post.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Cookiegirl
usps express mail

I have been shipping veiled chameleons usps for almost a year now. I also give the customer an option to ship ups. They always shipped usps unless the customer has a dhl account or another shipper. I only had trouble one time it was because the planes were grounded at DFW because of weather. The chameleons did fine . I told my customer to call their local post office and tell them they are expecting an express mail package and they will hold until they pick it up. I did this for our chameleons also. It keeps the chameleon from having to ride on the truck. In Texas chameleons are legal to ship usps. I always write on the box live chameleon. The express mail package is insured for up to $100 . The postal service told me they have even shipped chickens in the mail. I feel pretty confident using USPS. I know that snakes are illegal to ship in the mail.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72

Being a snake woman only, I didn't consider that. Thanks for the clarification.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!