White House Python Ban Petition - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
reptilebaby
I am passing this petition to all my forums I'm a member of, and EVERYONE I meet in passing. Whether or not they have a snake or a gerbil. Or no pets at all!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
WebSlave
Well, I don't often do something of this nature, but I am in the process of sending an email to all registered members of this site concerning that petition. I'm sure my inbox will be just flooded with bouncebacks from invalid email addresses, too........

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
SPJ
It came thru fine to my email addy but I already signed the petition.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
GREGORY J HALL
I had trouble signing in for two days just got it done very aggravating!!! at this rate its never going to get done something is wrong 2800 something its on all the forums & facebook what is the proplem thousands visit reptile sites daily what the hell is going on I think the site is messed up wont let people sign on

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
SPJ
There have been 553 additional signatures since I signed it.
It looks like there are a lot of people signing it just not enough.
I find it hard to believe that there are less than 3,000 herpers out there.
I think the problem is that they just can't be bothered since the ban doesn't impact them. This should have had the full 25,000 signatures within a few days of it being created.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up Been there, done that! =)]

Hey Rich,
Feel free to send those kind of important requests for help concerning our hobby anytime. I actually signed it already last week. And yes it kept freezing up for me too, but I kept trying, and eventually it worked. Just don't give up. I'm going to forward that email to my email list. I've already posted it on my fb. I'm surprised more haven't signed it.
I don't keep any of those species but we lost our right in Rhode Island from keeping Chameleon's about 15 years ago, because of the high mortality rate they say, and I am a keeper of uromastyx which our on the CITES list, and threatened to be cut off anytime, so I know it's not just the big snakes we have to be concerned about.
Keep in mind, this is an election year, and politicians will do just about anything to swing a large number of votes in their direction..

Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
WebSlave
I am getting replies from quite a few people stating that they are either unable to register, unable to sign, or both. Government at it's best....

BTW, the email I sent went out to over 47,000 members. Hopefully a goodly fraction of them will sign.

Of course, I did get some hate mail in response too.....

Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Matt2979
I also welcome any such future e-mails from you. I already signed this--I believe I was number 301--but my wife has still been unable to get through (not sure how often she's actually tried). I'll have her try again, and re-post something on FB to encourage as many more as possible.

This IS an uphill battle so we ALL need to work extra hard to accomplish what we're fighting for!!!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
snowgyre
I was pleasantly surprised to see the email, Rich. I'm still confused why people are having trouble registering though. I will admit that the site is content heavy, so people on slow connections may be excluded. Either that or the servers are still reeling from the attack by Anonymous last week.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
snakemansam
reply from my congressman

Dear Mr. Bridenthal,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the Fish and Wildlife Service's (FWS) final rule on the constrictor ban. Your views are important to me as I work to effectively represent you and Ohio's 16th Congressional District.

On April 7, 2011, the FWS filed a final rule with the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) regarding constrictors. Most commonly known as the constrictor ban, this rule adds nine non-native, non-venomous snakes to the Lacey Act's "injurious reptiles" list, therefore making it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, buy or possess any of the snakes or other reptiles found on this list. The OMB is currently reviewing this rule to determine the costs and benefits of its implementation.

I continue to have concerns with the current Administration's numerous attempts to use executive orders to circumvent Congress. The constrictor rule would effectively end commerce of these species and their hybrids, thus affecting an industry comprised of thousands of small businesses and entrepreneurs. According to the Small Business Administration's (SBA) Office of Advocacy, the FWS failed to "adequately describe the impacts of the proposed rule on small business" and did "not discuss significant alternatives to the proposed rule." Clearly, the Administration failed to evaluate the potential effects of this rule, as is required under the provisions of the Regulatory Flexibility Act and Executive Order 12866.

The fact that the Administration sought to impose this regulation without weighing the costs and benefits illustrates how little it understands about small businesses. You will be pleased to know that I have voted in favor of both H.R. 10, the Regulations from the Executive In Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act, and H.R. 3010, the Regulatory Accountability Act, to force the executive branch to take into consideration the economic impacts of regulations, and allow Congress to take an up-or-down vote on allowing them to go through. We need more accountability and transparency in the rulemaking process, and it is our responsibility as lawmakers to give the American people the chance to make their voices heard. Rest assured, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind as the House of Representatives seeks to rein in the Administration's regulations.

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on this issue. In the future I encourage you to visit my website www.renacci.house.gov where you can email me any other concerns that you have. If you would like to stay up to date with what I am doing in the 16th District and in Washington, follow me on Facebook and Twitter to receive frequent updates at www.facebook.com/repjimrenacci and www.twitter.com/repjimrenacci.

Sincerely,

Congressman Jim Renacci
Member of Congress

THis is an email I received from Congressman Renacci in repsonse to the form letter sent from USARKs website.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!