Response from Lou Barletta - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
JoeTaffis
George, you know Lou Barletta was the mayor of Hazleton Pa. for a long time. Hazleton has had a ban on all constrictors (excluding small colubrids) for many, many years. I don't think you're gonna change his way of thinking no matter what you say to him.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
patfusster
Here is mine from Richard Nugent

Another clueless one :

January 26, 2012

Dear Mrs. Ervin,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's (USFWS) final rule on the constrictor ban. I can't effectively serve as your voice in the House of Representatives without knowing what matters the most to you, so I appreciate you reaching out to me on this issue.

On April 7, 2011, the FWS filed a final rule with the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) regarding constrictors. This rule, also known as the constrictor ban, adds nine non-native, non-venomous snakes to the Lacey Act's "injurious reptiles" list, therefore making it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, buy or possess any of the snakes or other reptiles found on this list. The OMB is currently reviewing this rule to determine the costs and benefits of its implementation.

As you may know, South Florida has been invaded by non-native wildlife, which has disrupted our fragile ecosystem and preys on native species. The Burmese Python is one of the most dangerous examples of a non-native predator that has established a thriving breeding population in Florida. I'm sure we've all seen the sad reports of children who have been killed by these invasive constrictors. As a father of three sons, these tragic stories really bring the dangers of invasive species home.

The State of Florida, the USFWS, and the Everglades National Park, among others, have dedicated countless resources and time to eradicate these invasive snakes. Their funding and ability to continue eradication programs, while still performing their core missions, would be in jeopardy, and that is why I have joined some of my Florida colleagues in signing a letter to President Obama urging him to direct the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to release USFWS's proposed rule on large constrictor snakes.

While I know we may not see eye to eye on every issue I encourage you to keep in touch about the many important issues facing our nation. The letters, emails, and calls I receive from you are the best way to keep up with what is affecting Florida's 5th District. If you have a free moment, please visit my website, http://Nugent.house.gov. There, you can find more information about my stance on a variety of issues and sign up for "the SITREP," my weekly newsletter that discusses the current issues Congress is considering.

Sincerely,

Richard Nugent
Member of Congress

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
gandabrenzo
I knew he was mayor of Hazleton, I'm right down the road. I didnt know that they had banned constrictors though.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
hhmoore
Another response....
Quote:
Thank you for contacting me regarding the Fish and Wildlife Service's final rule on the constrictor ban. I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

On April 7, 2011, the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), a government agency responsible for the management of fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats, filed a final rule with the White House Office of Management & Budget (OMB) regarding constrictors. This rule, also known as the constrictor ban, adds nine non-native, non-venomous snakes to the Lacey Act's "injurious reptiles" list, therefore making it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, buy or possess any of the listed snakes. On January 17, 2012, the FWS issued the final rule, listing "four nonnative constrictor snakes that threaten the Everglades and other sensitive ecosystems across the United States." These included the Burmese python, the yellow anaconda, and the northern and southern African pythons as injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act. Additionally, five other species listed in previous reports, the reticulated python, boa constrictor, DeSchauensee's anaconda, green anaconda and Beni anaconda, will continue to be considered for listing.

While I am not a member of the Committee on Natural Resources, Judiciary, or Oversight and Government Reform, all of which would most likely have jurisdiction over this issue, rest assured I will continue to monitor this situation closely. Given some of the projected costs of this rule, I do have concerns over enacting it without due congressional oversight or approval.

On a related note, H.R. 10, Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act of 2011 was introduced by Rep. Geoff Davis (R-KY) and was cosponsored by 204 members of both parties in the House of Representatives. The REINS Act rewrites provisions regarding congressional review of agency rulemaking to require congressional approval before major rules written by the executive branch take effect. Currently, major rules take effect unless Congress passes and the President signs a joint resolution disapproving them.

The REINS Act defines a "major rule" as any rule, including an interim final rule, that has resulted in, or is likely to result in, an annual effect on the economy of $100 million or more, a major increase in costs or prices, or significant adverse effects on employment, investment, productivity, innovation, or U.S. competitiveness. The bill includes a provision that allows a major rule to take effect for 90 calendar days without Congressional approval if the President determines the rule is necessary because of an imminent threat to health or safety or other emergency, for the enforcement of criminal laws, for national security, or to implement an international trade agreement.

I was proud to be a cosponsor of the REINS Act and also to vote in favor of the bill when it passed the House of Representatives on December 7, 2011 with bipartisan support by a vote of 241-184. By our Founding Fathers' intent, it is the role of Congress to make laws and provide federal agencies with their regulatory powers. However, in recent years, several regulations have been issued as a means of skirting our country's law-making process. I do not support the implementation of major regulations with far-reaching effects on economic growth that were not approved by our lawmaking bodies and signed into law.

Thank you, again, for contacting me with your concerns. Please don't hesitate to inform me in the future through my website http://gibson.house.gov or over the phone at (202) 225-5614.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
ROBERT SIDERS
WHEN CONTACTED ,USGS TOLD ME THEY HAD NO HERPETOLOGISTS,ON STAFF SHE REPLIED WE ARE GEOLOGISTS,NEED I SAY MORE

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!