Toad infestation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
WebSlave
Toad infestation

We are being overrun with toads this year. It's gotten so that we have to walk around outside at night carrying a flashlight so we won't accidentally step on them. Of course, my wife has taken to feeding them crickets and just about every night we are out there watching them running around after the crickets.

Who ever says toads are not intelligent has not watched them. They know who we are, and they know what door to expect us to come out of. And not only that, they talk to each other. How else can you explain how in a few days, the three toads out there became over a dozen! And they simply line up along the foot of the wall of the reptile building waiting for us to feed them.

This handsome devil is Fireball. He is about the fastest toad I have ever seen. He does not jump but actually runs after the crickets. He will knock any other toad out of his way in pursuit and is absolutely fearless.

Except maybe Chubby here can stand his ground and Fireball has a tough time moving this hoss out of the way....

This is an earlier shot with only three of the several out there that night who spread the word about the free cricket treats to be had for the asking....

I think we are going to have to increase our cricket order pretty shortly. Those guys are bottomless pits!

Old 06-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Wilomn
You know Rich, it looks sort of like Chubby is more of a Chubbyette. Perhaps you should make sure all she and Fireball do is battle over crickets. If they ever get to singing together you may well have several hundred of their progeny saying Uncle Rich to you.

See what you get for being nice? Parentile, or unclular responsibilities.

Cool toads though. I have a pixie frog who is pretty good at eating the mice some of my snakes pass on. I got him just under a year ago and he was about the size of a silver dollar. Now he is almost big enough to cover the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Of course, that's when he's relaxed. When he stands at attention it's amazing how that blob of a belly just disappears.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
WebSlave
Hah! When food is on the table, they all only have eyes for crickets!

We did try them on pinkies, but they just ignored them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!