The critters you find outside your door... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:39 AM   #1
WebSlave
The critters you find outside your door...

This guy lives in a burrow just outside the door of our reptile building. He (I have no idea of the sex...) comes out late at night and stands right along the wall of the building, along with two other smaller ones that take up positions like sentinels. Connie has taken to feeding them crickets, so it appears they have come to like this sort of arrangement.

This is old hog belly taking a look around after poking up out of his burrow:

So I guess the coast is clear, so let's go beg for crickets!:

Old 11-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #2
John Apple
Neet

I have two toads and one frog that have been in my tort pen for as long as I have had the torts.
They tend to hang out under the light at night and on cooler summer days.
Seems like a good symbiotic relationship, the toads and frog keep away the smaller pest and the Russian torts provide shelter in the winter and hot summer days.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
John White
Great pics! Your toad is an Eastern Spadefoot (Scaphiopus holbrookii).

Old 11-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
WebSlave
Yeah, I finally identified them a while back. When the wife and I first moved down here, I thought they were Fowler's Toads (hey, I'm just not an amphibian person!), so to this day we still call them "Fowler", not as an ID, but as a name.

It's pretty humorous to see three or four of them lined up outside the reptile building door, backs to the wall, waiting for a hand out. They learn pretty quickly how to get those yummy crickets handed to them.

A couple of nights ago, I walked over to the house late at night and there was a big eastern (ID?) toad sitting on the porch jumping up at the wall trying to grab what it thought was a bug just a little bit out of reach. It was just a black spec, and not a bug, but I figured I had better remove it before he hurt himself. And I did learn something interesting. I killed a big palmetto bug on the porch, and darned if that toad didn't eat it later on. I didn't realize they were scavengers, but I guess it is logical.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!