Pics of several endangered Eurycea species, Dail-up Warning! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:35 AM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Pics of several endangered Eurycea species, Dail-up Warning!

Just thought I would post some picsa of some Eurycea species, some of them I am working with, others I am not.

Eurycea rathbuni (in captivity)

Eurycea nana (in captivity)

Eurycea naufragia (Buford Hollow locality, in captivity)

Eurycea naufragia (Buford Hollow locality, in the wild)

Eurycea naufragia (Cowan Creek locality, in captivity)

Eurycea naufragia (Cowan Creek locality, in the wild)

Eurycea sp. "Pedernales" (In captivity)

I got more pics stored away somewhere. Oh, by the way, for some of these species they are the only known photographs.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Elsa
The Eurycea rathbuni looks like it's an animal that lived all its life in a cave. It looks amazing.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:45 AM   #3
zebeck
Fantastic!
It too bad so few people are interested; these are some of the most interesting herps to be found anywhere.

Thanks for sharing.
More pictures would be welcome (by one person at least)

What have you been able to breed?

Old 08-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Intense Herpetoculture
The Eurcyea rathbuni is found in several underwater caves in and around San Marcos, TX. It is a protected species in regards to both Texas and US laws. I've had breeding success with many of the Eurycea species, and I am presently working (slowly I may add) on the website Plethodontid Research. I'll post some more pics soon.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
zebeck
Would you happen to know if Eurycea lucifuga been bred in captivity?

And as for the Eurycea nana, I understand their range is better known now than it used to be. Is it still thought to be limited to Hays and Comal counties?

Are there any prevailing thories on why there are several neotenic salamanders with such limted ranges in central Texas?
Is there controversy over ther taxonomy?

Thanks again for the pics.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #6
Intense Herpetoculture
I am pretty sure Eurycea lucifuga has been bred on several occasions within captivity, but I can not think of any specific dates at this time.

As for E. nana, there range has not been extended, in fact it has been confirmed that it is only found around the headsprings in San Marcos Springs including a fairly limited part of the upper pool.

As for any theories regarding why there are so many limited ranges of neotenic salamander species found within Texas along the Edwards Plateau. From my point of view it would be the unique hydrological systems present coupled along with geological separation. No one to my knowledge has tried to challenge any of the new descriptions. I personally do not think they will. The species descriptions were not taken lightly and a lot of work has been put into research confirming the authors' suspicions, which will insure they will remain solid for years to come.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebeck
Would you happen to know if Eurycea lucifuga been bred in captivity?

And as for the Eurycea nana, I understand their range is better known now than it used to be. Is it still thought to be limited to Hays and Comal counties?

Are there any prevailing thories on why there are several neotenic salamanders with such limted ranges in central Texas?
Is there controversy over ther taxonomy?

Thanks again for the pics.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:41 AM   #7
zebeck
Thanks for your reply.
I was wondering about the taxonomy only because it might seem strange to have different species in a closely confined area which have such similar habitat use and gross anatomy.

Please leave a note when your website gets further along.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!