what do i feed the frogs i caught at the pond? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
rufis4president
what do i feed the frogs i caught at the pond?

about 2 weeks ago i caught 2 baby frogs, 2 tadpoles, 4 small snails, and 5 small fish at a local pond. the tadpoles eat the green algae and the fish eat fish food. however, i don't know what to feed the frogs. my biology teacher said they'd eat the fish food but i haven't seen them eat it yet and they're starting to look a little skinny. they're about the size of a thumbnail and i've had one bio teacher tell me they are toads and another tell me they are tree frogs....so does anyone know what to feed them? i guess it would probably be best to just put them back but if it's possible for me to keep them i would really like to. also are the snails pretty much self sustaining on the algae like the tadpoles? thanks for any info!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Can you post a pic of the frogs? that would help us identify them. If they hop out onto the land, you can try very small crickets (1/4 inch or so) and if they tend to stay in the water, try feeder guppies for them...

I would try feeding the snails either algae wafers, or put some plants in for them to munch on as well....

Old 05-20-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
Chopped earthworms are a good food for the frogs as well. Easy to catch.
The main thing is to make sure they are actually eating when you put food in. Once you have them acclimated and feeding well, they should do fine.

As for the toad vs. tree frog, a picture would be good, but generally if it's skin is real bumpy and it stays on the ground it's a toad, if it has more or less smooth skin and climbs on plants or hangs out on the side of the tank, it's a tree frog.
It may be neither however, as there are also terrestrial frogs that have fairly smooth skin but rarely climb to any degree.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
fishnjokr
Feeding native frogs

It might be difficult to get frogs to eat nonliving food. Crickets are a good backup since you can buy them at a pet store. I have fed native frogs waxworms and small earthworms but mine have never taken mealworms. Small frogs usually gobble up fly larvae (maggots) and caterpillars

You could try catching whatever insects are around and experimenting with them. You can try clipping the wings of flying insects to make them easier for the frogs to catch. Good Luck.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
fishnjokr
Feeding Snails

For snails, they love peelings from sweet potatoes, winter squash, or carrots. A couple of strips is enough.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
jenn_jeffery
Someone had a posting selling termites earlier--those are a possibilty as well.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Kamphibian
Thumbs up

very small fruitflies would proubably do

Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
rufis4president
Hi, thank you for all the wonderful advice! Unfortunately, the really small worms I bought from the pet store weren't good enough. I thought I saw one frog eat some of them, but a few days later one of the frogs died. I decided that I didn't want the frogs to suffer so I put them all back in the pond where I found them. Maybe I can try again next year when they breed and try all your suggestions and hopefully get better luck with them. thanks a lot!

Annalee

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!