How to get a Burmese - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Forgive my nerdiness, but perhaps the fact that's it's illegal should be enough to stop you. Just a thought.

Noelle
It does stop me, but the law isn't always fair to everyone. It is for the better in the issue of biodiversity, but for business and hobby its just irritating.

I don't think someone would find out about you having it in your house, unless they came in. Idk... just seems like it can't be enforced unless you talk about it.

Either way, I will respect this law and it's reasons, hoping maybe it will change someday to agree with breeders.

Is the law only for the United States? Meaning Canada is good to go etc.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
"seems like a reactionary law " "I rather doubt is going to deter the masses"

You are probably correct in the fact that some people don't agree with this law and are not goig to follow it. I am one who doesn't agree with it, but I keep good records of the animals I have obtained before and after the ban. At least keep some Email exchanges or a receipt to show who you did the exchange with within your home state.

Hopefully it will get reversed, but in the meantime we as a community need to be cautious and not attract unneccesary attention with the media.

I can see the headline already
Smuggled Burmese Python Terrorizes Neigborhood.

We don't need any more bad publicity and it is best to deal within the law.

Jacob
Totally agree, if we behave, maybe we will get what we want.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
IMAJACOBIAN
I'm not really into Retic, but we are good there to transport them still. It's not actually because of the size, but due to the Burms being on the Lacey act wich has to do with invasive regulated species.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2act View Post
Absolutely Jacob, on all points/thoughts. I just worry how many will truly do so. I hate seeing the media smear us all as freaks in every news story practically. And this is another law that practically sets up our hobby to take more hits like that. You know the reptile industry does not always attract the most stand up type of folks. I wish it were not the case, but we have a decent sized population of jackasses that will drag us down with them over these type of regulations that they will seek to skirt around thinkin they wont ever get caught. And it just makes me bummed, and worried.
That's another issue in itself. People are so uneducated and closed minded. The more you grow the uglier the world gets. Haha

But at least we have eachother. lol

Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #25
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
I'm not really into Retic, but we are good there to transport them still. It's not actually because of the size, but due to the Burms being on the Lacey act wich has to do with invasive regulated species.

Thanks,

Jacob
Retic doesn't really appeal to me much, but it's still interesting. As for the invasive species..
This is because they can adapt to cooler climates?

M

Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
IMAJACOBIAN
The Burms and others that are in the Glades have reproduced and survived. That doesn't mean that they thrive.(My opinion) But, they have successfully established themselves and the big man with the gun says we must pay the piper. I believe they will eventually be gotten rid of in the glades(maybe years). I think an eventual cold snap will take care of them. In S.E. Asia(Burms Homeland) the climate is pretty different than Florida, but obviously close enough. I've seen some pics of collected Burms and a lot of them have Skin/Scale issues like scale rot and R.I.'s due to the colder climate from what I have read elsewhere. Wish I could find where I saw that though.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #27
blackandblue_lulu
Is there a way to search by state on fauna? I've yet to find it.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
IMAJACOBIAN
Honestly theres not. I offered the idea up a few days or so ago in another thread, and it's sounds like it is cost prohibitive. This is a free forum after all. The best thing to do is to put a wanted as out there and hope for the best. They are probably in all states that are legal and some that are not. You may have a hard time if your looking for a specific morph depending on what it is. Hypos for example may not be in all states. Albinos are probably in all legal states and normals are usually readily available.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Lucille
Here is a site:http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

But remember, and this is important:
1) Laws change so ALWAYS follow up with your own research
2) Cities and towns within a state may have additional restrictions, such as New York City and their health code, so you must research those as well.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Here is a site:http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

But remember, and this is important:
1) Laws change so ALWAYS follow up with your own research
2) Cities and towns within a state may have additional restrictions, such as New York City and their health code, so you must research those as well.
Understood.

Thank you all again! I just didn't want to make a stupid mistake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
burmese, burmese python