Black Knight inquriy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 06-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
dumje
Black Knight inquriy

I am in wondering if anybody has heard about what is going on with this wonderful product that seems to be no longer available.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
DavidBeard
I've heard something about a lawsuit between Black Knight & Proventa-Mite......thatsmay be why its hard to find now....I don't know the details or if its 100% accurate though. *shrug*

Old 06-20-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Rob @ RK Reptiles
From what I have been told, The owner of Pro-Products filed a lawsuit against the makers of Black Knight and won. One of the things that came from the lawsuit was the company is no longer allowed to make the product BLACK KNIGHT. Personally I think it is a crock that they pulled it but one of the main things that won the case (if I remember correctly) was the product was created for use at killing roaches and was being marketed to kill mites and tick on reptiles. Since at the time Pro-Products had the only FDA approved product the courts found in his favor. There are not too many people out there that will talk about it as they are afraid of being sued by Pro-Products and its owner.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
dumje
I heard this guy tried to put a lawsuit on everybody he could...over the fact that people where recommending Black Knight over his product. That pisses me off. I like Black Knight and would like to aid if i can on getting it back on the market. I am understanding that Black Knight is off the market temporarily until the lawsuit is over...that this is presently an ongoing thing.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
bpc
I LOVE Black Knight! I've tried Provent-a-mite several times and have never been impressed/satisfied w/ the results. Black Knight is quick simple, and most importantly...... ACTUALLY KILLS MITES DEAD!

Old 06-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
craig kade
I would love to see everyone boycott people who take away our choices. Black knight was THE BEST. A product called reptile releif works very well also, you might want to stock up before they get sued though.

Old 06-26-2004, 02:24 AM   #7
C. Elmer
Here's the bottom line. All along, Provent-a-mite has been inteneded for one sole purpose: the eridication of mites and ticks on reptiles. Therefore, it has been created specifically to be a safe, and extremely succesful method of mite killing. Black Knight, however, was never intended for this use; it was used as an insecticide in aircraft cabins... that is, until they discoverd it's potentially toxic effects. An online health article regarding the use of Black Knight on aircrafts had this to say:

"Although chemicals of this cockroach killer (Black Knight Roach Killer) may not pose a risk for healthy people who fly occasionally, some health experts, including those from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.), are concerned about passengers with respiratory problems, pregnant women those who are susceptible to allergies and subject to repeated exposures as flight crews or frequent flyers.

Although the nerve toxin has been approved and recommended by the World Health Organisation, the E.P.A. has classified d-phenothrin and permethin as possible carcinogens and has stopped the spraying of the insecticide of U.S. airline occupied cabins. However, sprying of unoccupied cabins and cargo areas is permitted.

In the UK, it is still standard practice to disinfect all aircraft, originating from malaria- infected areas, through direct spraying of passengers. A recent casualty among passengers was Richard Armitage who flew from Dubai to Heathrow and lost the sight in his right eye when insecticide penetrated it. Another young girl who suffers from asthma was also affected."

Black Knight's use was stopped because of potential toxic effects on humans, and never once has it been tested or approved for use as an eradicator of reptile pests. There's no doubt it kills the mites, but what effect is it having on your pet? It seems irresponsible to me to continue using a product, when there's even the slightest chance it might be having a detrimental effect on the health of my animal, which may not become evident for a long while down the road. A product like P.A.M., and others, alternately, are safe for your animal, easy to use, and incredibly effective... and actually intended for use with sensivite living creatures. Just want to make sure people realize Black Knight isn't a miracle product; it has the potential to be dangerous to our animals (it's NEVER been tested... who do we know it's safe!?), plus there's better, safer ones out there.

-Christian-

Old 06-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
dumje
What possible affects are there????

Reptiles are one of the mosts sensitive animals out there. Any little thing can kill them.

You trying to say that something will sneak up and kill them latter in life that could not kill them right a way?????

I will take my chances with Black Knight. Proven in my own snake room.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:03 AM   #9
C. Elmer
I'm sorry; how stupid of me. Of course if something doesn't harm an animal right away, then it must be fine for them. Just like the way iguanas love to chow down on iceberg lettuce... must be fine if you don't see any immediate effects. Junkies may take a hundred hits of a hundred different drugs, but any one time could easily be the last and "heart-stopper." Honestly, what is your argument? I'm no vet, or chemical engineer, but a smart enough person to realize that it's better NOT to take chances with the creatures I cherish.

-Christian-

Old 06-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
C. Elmer
Also, herps are very sensitive in some respects, but also some of the hardiest animals out there. Captive reptiles survive through years of mistreatment and abuse; just take a look at any herp societies rescue or adoption list. It's almost to their detriment they're so hardy, as people will mistakenly believe that just because their animal is still physically breathing, they must be providing the correct care for it.

-Christian-

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!