The Case of the Perpetually Picky Papuan Python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Rakshasanyc
The Case of the Perpetually Picky Papuan Python

At the last White Plains show (11/26) I picked up Kierkegaard, a hatchling Papuan Python (A. Papuana). He has yet to eat. If tease-fed, he will engage in some defensive strikes and has even thrown coils a couple times -- but he won't swallow the ferschlugginer thing. If the f/t item is left in his cage, he will push it around the cage and play with it but won't swallow. And when I tried a live African pygmy frog (as per the request of someone who suggested trying frogs or lizards), he seemed completely uninterested.

The people who sold him to me (Regal Reptiles in Providence, RI) bought him from Bushmaster in Jakarta: they have no idea of his history before arriving with them, nor did they ever try feeding him themselves. Hence, I have no clear idea of his exact age, or if he has ever eaten since coming out of the egg. And, alas, there's next to no information on caring for hatchling Papuan Pythons, since they've rarely been bred in captivity.

He appears active and alert: his skin is not wrinkled or sagging and, while I'd like to see him put on some weight, he doesn't look emaciated. I'm taking him to the vet in January (our herp vet is presently on vacation until the 8th). In the meantime any pointers Yon Peanut Gallery may have would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
hhmoore
Kevin - there are lots of things to try (some simple, some not quite so)...I was going to have you call or email me, but we might as well do it here for all to enjoy. I'm on my out for the morning - but I'll throw out some suggestions when I get home

Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
hhmoore
slight delay in my plans, so I'll start now (probably won't have time to get everything down though).
- Apodora are known to include snakes and lizards in their diet...I would guess that young skinks would be a common natural prey item for hatchlings. Not exactly the easiest way to get your little one started, but something to consider if nothing else works.
- some hatchling pythons tend to be jittery and easily disturbed at feeding time. Try tease or tap techniques to initiate a strike. When the prey item is constricted - STOP. Don't walk away, don't cover the enclosure, heck, be slow and careful about putting your arm down. It'll probably mean standing there for 20 minutes - you'll get good at it, lol, and eventually it will get easier.
- check your temps and humidity. I haven't worked with Apadora sp, but many of the pythons from that area do well at lower (than traditional) temps. With a hatchling, I would lean toward a smaller enclosure, with a necessarily tighter temp gradient. Don't be afraid to try some different ranges - but you don't want to constantly have the temps going up and down. Obviously, minimize handling until he is feeding regularly.
- have you tried live? a crawler or hopper mouse left in when all is still a great stimulant for babies

There's my cue - time to leave...drop me a line, letting me know how you make out. If he doesn't start up, I'd be willing to try getting him going for you (if you want).
Good luck

Old 12-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Gary Schiavino
Picky Papuan

Don't take my comments as offensive, I'm only here to help....

"And when I tried a live African pygmy frog (as per the request of someone who suggested trying frogs or lizards), he seemed completely uninterested."

PLEASE refrain from frogs/lizards until EVERYTHING else has been tried.

My advice:
The sibling to your male, (his sister) was purchased by my good friend Danny Schafer, and with some minor teasing, she ate a fuzzy mouse within a few tries. Your animal was hatched approx. Nov '06 in Jakarta, and it's not uncommom for babies to take some time to "kick in".
You should have minimal interaction with the animal until she eats, and make sure your husbandry conditions are appropriate. Your intentions are good, but my guess is that you "messing" (for lack of a better word) with your girl too much, and trying too many food items. Leave her alone, and try a live rat pinky from tongs. If not succesful, leave it in overnight.

Again, my intentions are to help you, (and your girl) so feel free to call me for additional support. Lastly, frogs/lizards should never be offered to any boid species. Scenting perhaps, (chick down would be far more effective however) but never a whole frog/lizard.

I'm here if you need me...
Gary Schiavino
(732)310-8573

Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Rakshasanyc
Gary, Harald: thanks so much for the helpful pointers. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Right now my concern is for the snake's well-being, not my ego. If I'm screwing up with my husbandry, I want to fix whatever is wrong.

At present I've got him in an stackable drawer tub (15-3/4" x 19-3/4" x 8-1/8") in our computer/quarantine room. There are one or two paper towel tubes for hides, a water dish (in which he swims occasionally), and a paper towel substrate. The tub is heated by an Exo-Terra undertank heater and has an 82-83/86-88 gradient. To provide him with privacy, his home is typically covered with blue silk sari fabric. This is somewhat translucent and allows us to watch him in motion while sheltering him from distractions.

I've got a couple of live mouse fuzzies on reserve at my nearest pet store (they are the closest thing I could get to a live rat pinky). I'll pick them up tomorrow and see if that will work. I was just taken a bit aback by this: since my first snake was a Burm, I really haven't had a lot of experience with picky eaters.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
ravensgait
Kevin, your temps seem OK but if it were me I'd have the warm side at 84 to 86 and the cool side closer to room temp. low to mid 70s that way he has a real choice of what is comfortable. Try him with the live fuzzy, just make sure you have the tub where you can peek in without disturbing him. By the way it's not unusual for babies to go without feeding for a while.. I have a baby Chondro that hatched 11-9 and it finally ate it's first meal last Sunday and I've had them take longer than that. So don't worry to much yet. Randy

Old 12-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
Elfmaze
I love apadura's. My sisters got one out in berkley. i didn't know any one has successfully got them to breed in the usa. My sisters was a bit finacky feeding for the first three months but now they hold one on tongs in the cage that it will stike almost immediatly and the second the'll just drop in and it will get it later.

Papuans are very definsive of there terrarium. have you tried feeding it in its home? might be a good idea?

Warning: we do have to let teh snake come out of its cage by itsself. if anyone reaches in she'll attack. Calm once out though

Old 12-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #8
Rakshasanyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgait
Kevin, your temps seem OK but if it were me I'd have the warm side at 84 to 86 and the cool side closer to room temp. low to mid 70s that way he has a real choice of what is comfortable. Try him with the live fuzzy, just make sure you have the tub where you can peek in without disturbing him. By the way it's not unusual for babies to go without feeding for a while.. I have a baby Chondro that hatched 11-9 and it finally ate it's first meal last Sunday and I've had them take longer than that. So don't worry to much yet. Randy
Tried a live rat fuzzy: awoke this morning to find a dead rat fuzzy in Kierkegaard's tub, with Kierkegaard coiled around it. He doesn't seem to have any interest in eating it right now, but at least we're making baby steps

Edit: Kierkegaard has now eaten his first rat fuzzy!!!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!