Feels like I lost a child - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
lovin2act
Feels like I lost a child

Kinda a sob story here so my apologies in advance. Just felt the need to write I guess. I am just a herp enthusiast, never have a bred reptiles, just keep them as pets. Anyhow, been havin some tough times with money like everyone, and this past week my car had to have emergency repair work done and it was the final straw.

Last night I went down to a specialty reptile shop in my area after talking with the owner earlier on, and I gave up my most prized snake. He was just a false water cobra, but for some reason I was the closest to him in heart of all my snakes. He was a big crazy guy, but he was mine and I was his dad. I grew him up since he was a little tyke, and never once did he ever try to bite me. Sure he was a bit nuts come feed time and when I was getting him out of the cage, but even amidst all of that he never tried to bite me. It was probably a mix of my respecting him at all times and never doing things that would get me bitten, and a bit of him not minding me as his keeper since I never did things to get him upset. I'm probably giving him too much credit yes I know....but I just feel like we had a kinship almost for some reason. Much more than my other snakes. The way he would watch me when I was in the room and was always interested in what I was up to...he just seemed so intuitive compared to my other snakes.

The decision to let him go was painstakingly long and drawn out, but I had to look at the long run of what was best for him as a whole. He really needed more space than what I was able to give him, and the place where I took him has a breeding program for these guys and he would have a girlfriend and get to make sexy time with her all the time I needed the money terribly and he was a value to them unlike my other snakes.

So last night and drove him down there and the owner worked out the transaction and I handed him over. I gave him a big kiss on the head as I said goodbye. Driving home was not easy. I felt like I had abandoned my boy and left him in some new place all frightened and scared. I couldn't sleep most of the night just thinkin about him and where his new life would take him. I prayed to God to watch over him for the rest of his life, and that he would find an owner who would love him as much I me.

Am I freakin nuts or does anyone else here ever feel like this about their snakes? I will admit I have cried when I lost a dog, but several times today I seriously had to hold back tears over this snake. I read an article in a mens magazine once called Maxim about when its ok for a man to cry, and losing a dog was on the list haha! I feel it's the last gift I can give to my animals as they pass on. But wow it has been a tough day today. I know my snake will be just fine and probably happier and better off, but it just hurts for some reason. I have parted with many snakes before, but this guy just got to me somehow. His name was Midian, and he was my best snake. Not in value or popularity of the reptile trade, he was just my best snake cause he was my boy.

You guys might think Im nuts here but oh well haha! Just needed to write some of my thoughts down and I hope I havent broken any rules with this.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly
Hey, it takes a lot to come on here and write your feelings, especially when you're male.
I say if you're brave enough to do it, knock yourself out.I compare it to a guy who is secure enough in his manhood that he will wear a pink shirt and not care what anyone thinks. I'm sure there are a lot of folks that can identify and sympathize with you. Whether they would come out and admit it is another story...
I feel for you, that you had to get rid of something you obviously loved so much. Regardless of the reason for having to sell him, it does hurt that it has come to that. Unfortunately, with this economy, a lot more people may be in the same boat, so I'm sure you aren't going to be in that boat alone.
Keep your chin up!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
lovin2act
Thanks Tiger :-) I dunno if I'd go as far as wearing a pink shirt though

Old 05-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin2act View Post
Thanks Tiger :-) I dunno if I'd go as far as wearing a pink shirt though
Dude, when guys wear it, it's called 'Coral', not 'Pink'

Like the Lily said, Chin up amigo!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
lovin2act
Hahaha!!!! Coral is good

And thank you kindly

Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
izzyandickus
I had a Tiger retic named izzy and I had to sell her when my wife was having a baby. She used to wonder my room and I loved her. I screened people before I sold her and drove her to a new home in tulsa oklahoma and her new owner jason and i keep in touch on here a lot. I know how you feel in a way.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Tiger Lilly
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Dude, when guys wear it, it's called 'Coral', not 'Pink'

Like the Lily said, Chin up amigo!
I don't care what you guys call it to make yourself better able to deal with it, but I think some guys look HOT in PINK!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Abby
That is really cool of you to post this. The world works in strange ways, some animals just grab a hold of our hearts and never let go. Keep your chin up though, I'm sure he is happy and well in his new home!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!