The wild, wild, west! - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #151
Chameleon Company
Malt liquor against a bow and arrow ...... drink enough and I guess I won't feel any pain

Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #152
WebSlave
Well I've talked to my programmer about my goofball idea and he says it is certainly feasible. Matter of fact another one of his clients is doing something similar with satisfactory results. So maybe it's not as goofy as I thought.

To throw out another hint, what was it about Samuel Colt's invention that was revolutionary in concept for the time? What labels were informally applied to these devices?

Aw heck, how about another clue? This one is via a quote from Lucille that provided some of the incentive for my idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I just had an idea. Impractical, I'm sure. But worth a mention, I think, just for fun.
There is a classified deal on the internet called Craigslist where if enough people vote down a certain post, it just disappears.

My idea is different though.

My idea is to have a temporary restraining order (I mean, forum) where if enough members made a small contribution like a dollar (so someone with bucks couldn't jail up people for life) we could pay for certain people to be RESTRICTED to a certain forum for a week or so.

And, you could put the forum on 'ignore'.
(I'd probably visit from time to time )
I think many of you now have enough information to see where I am going with this.

BTW, any of you guys old enough to remember the ancient computer game called "Life"?

Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #153
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
To throw out another hint, what was it about Samuel Colt's invention that was revolutionary in concept for the time? What labels were informally applied to these devices?
Six Shooters

Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #154
Wilomn
While you've got the programmer on your dime, how about asking him the cost to put mini-dictators, er mods, on ignore. Maybe I'd even pony up the dough to do it.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #155
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
While you've got the programmer on your dime, how about asking him the cost to put mini-dictators, er mods, on ignore. Maybe I'd even pony up the dough to do it.
I am satisfied with that aspect of this system "as is". No one is forcing anyone to read anyone else's posts.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #156
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
I am satisfied with that aspect of this system "as is". No one is forcing anyone to read anyone else's posts.
Well heck, had you said that the first time I asked, instead of talking about not wanting to incur increased costs, I would never have asked the second time.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #157
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
Well heck, had you said that the first time I asked, instead of talking about not wanting to incur increased costs, I would never have asked the second time.

Thanks for the clarification though.
Well that does go hand in hand, Wes. I have to be dissatisfied with how something works or have an overriding reason to change something in order to consider allocating funds to "fix" it.

This change I am hinting around at in this thread is going to cost me some $$. I think it may fix some things, and perhaps break others. But I figure it's worth a shot. At the very least, it will make for an interesting atmosphere here.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #158
kmurphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I just had an idea. Impractical, I'm sure. But worth a mention, I think, just for fun.
There is a classified deal on the internet called Craigslist where if enough people vote down a certain post, it just disappears.

My idea is different though.

My idea is to have a temporary restraining order (I mean, forum) where if enough members made a small contribution like a dollar (so someone with bucks couldn't jail up people for life) we could pay for certain people to be RESTRICTED to a certain forum for a week or so.

And, you could put the forum on 'ignore'.
(I'd probably visit from time to time )
Rich, you hi-lighted this post of Lucille's as a hint. What happens to an individual post is of little consequence but if you're intention is to pit members against one another I think it is an ill-conceived plan. Hopefully I am off base.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #159
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Rich, you hi-lighted this post of Lucille's as a hint. What happens to an individual post is of little consequence but if you're intention is to pit members against one another I think it is an ill-conceived plan. Hopefully I am off base.
I think I agree.

I have seen on Craigslist, and another forum that I used to frequest, where similar methods were applied...so many people vote to delete a post, and it poofs. Which is fine and dandy for posts that are pbvious trolls, spammers, etc, but it very often seems to digress to being badly abused.

Just as a notable example, the posting of animal for sale ads are prohibited on Craigslist, yet there seemed to be a few breeders that kept posting their for sale ads over and over, and when they got tired of not being able to put their ads up, a group of them got together and started flagging all of the postings by animal rescues and shelters, and it turned into nothing but a big pissing match......but no one knew what half of the people were so mad about, because all of the posts were removed more quickly than they could be read by some. It's a big mess in some areas.

I dunno....if someone ever comes up with a perfect system that actually works, well, I don't think it's possible.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #160
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
It would be interesting to see who would be willing to do it for spectacle as opposed to their own motives, for pay instead of play, as it were.

I know that I, for one, would be more than willing to watch but somewhat hesitant to participate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!