This is Really a Shame! - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #61
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha
Thanks Cheryl.. I been thinking that, but didnt wanna get into the drama. LOL

that is how I used to have my snakes set up when I first started.. and they are all happy, healthy and alive today..
LOL... when I was 12 or 13, the first ball python I had was in a chicken wire and 2x4 enclosure with a plywood floor. In my bedroom. That enclosure ran from floor to ceiling, 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep. It had 4 spot lamps and a fluorescent tub , mulch from the G.C. Murphy was the primary substrate. Had a couple basketball sized boulders in it, a couple of small gravely areas in the mulch, red planters upside down for hides, a couple of small fake trees, fake leafy vines running everywhere on the ceiling and the top half of the enclosure, used one of those round metal sleds slightly submerged in the substrate as a "pond" and even had enough room for a folding metal chair in there...... I laugh so hard thinking back about that now. But hey, that snake lived happily in that enclosure for several years.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #62
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Not trying to be a smart ass in any way here, but maybe sharing some info you may not realize.

Back in my beginnings there were no dimmers, thermostats, digital thermometers, UTHs, etc, etc. I basically had three tools to get the environment right. A clamp lamp, a mercury thermometer and what little info I could find at the local library about the animal itself and the weather patterns of the area in which the animal came from. That was it. That was all that most of us had in the old days. And we made it work.

Granted the tools/equipment/knowledge made available to us today makes it all much easier to accomplish, but that dont mean they are absolutely needed. Well, the knowledge part is real helpful.

For example: That set up you were mentioning.... all you need is a thermometer or temp gun to measure the basking area where the lamp is shining down. If the temps are too hot you move the lamp further away, if they are too cool then you move the lamp closer. If you have to move the lamp so close that it could come into contact with the animal, then you would want to move to a higher wattage bulb so you can move the lamp further back. Its not brain surgery and you surely dont have to have dimmers or thermostats to accomplish proper temps.
It was all trial and error back then and countless people got these critters to thrive even with the limited resources that were at our disposal back then.
This is the kind of information many of us do not figure out because there is a lack of both factual and logical information out there. Most of us (as noted) go by what we are taught or shown (as I did).

I'll be sure to pass on this information. I am sure a lot of beginners are sighing in relief to know that they do not need all the tools that are advertised as necessary. In fact, I wish I had known this when I first started before I dropped a couple grand on the humidifiers, UTHS, thermostats, fancy hides, heat lamps and whatnot.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #63
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus
This is the kind of information many of us do not figure out because there is a lack of both factual and logical information out there. Most of us (as noted) go by what we are taught or shown (as I did).

I'll be sure to pass on this information. I am sure a lot of beginners are sighing in relief to know that they do not need all the tools that are advertised as necessary. In fact, I wish I had known this when I first started before I dropped a couple grand on the humidifiers, UTHS, thermostats, fancy hides, heat lamps and whatnot.

Thanks!
Dont get me wrong, thermostats and other tools/equipment make it easier, more efficient and more accurate than the "old school" ways of doing things. That is for sure. I mean I personally LOVE thermostats. When you have a large collection the time a few thermostats and a temp gun saves you is invaluable. UTH's/Flexwatt give you heating options that depending on your enclosure type may work much better than a clamp lamp.

A lot of the tools/devices out there are truly invaluable. Many on the other hand are a complete waste of money. $30 hides..... pffffff. Give me a $3 plastic hide or a cardboard box any day!!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #64
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Give me a $3 plastic hide or a cardboard box any day!!
My boas like cardboard boxes...but I need to find new ones, the current ones have seen better days
I would like to find some plastic ones that would fit them...preferably light enough that the snakes could move them around like they do now

Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #65
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
My boas like cardboard boxes...but I need to find new ones, the current ones have seen better days
I would like to find some plastic ones that would fit them...preferably light enough that the snakes could move them around like they do now
How big? I overbought on the Zoomed plastic ones (extra large size) and they are sitting on a shelf. Still have the stickers on them. They are light enough that the snake can move them. Say the word and they are yours.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #66
BallFriend
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
How big? I overbought on the Zoomed plastic ones (extra large size) and they are sitting on a shelf. Still have the stickers on them. They are light enough that the snake can move them. Say the word and they are yours.

word

Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #67
BryonsBoas
I went and looked at the ad. From the angle of the pic , if the guy didn't list what came with the set up you would never know if there was a heat pad or not since all the lines would run behind the cage.

This started me thinking that good ol' Deb was breaking somebody's back instead of getting hers busted for a change.

Then I read her responses after this was brought up by others.

Now, I think she knows even less than I had given her credit for.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #68
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
If its for adults , go to Home Depot and get Mortar Tubs. $5 last time I checked , quick access hole with a hacksaw and light weight. Approx. 27 0 28" L x 19 - 20"W x 6"H.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #69
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
If its for adults , go to Home Depot and get Mortar Tubs. $5 last time I checked , quick access hole with a hacksaw and light weight. Approx. 27 0 28" L x 19 - 20"W x 6"H.
Just sand or melt the edges smooth.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #70
MauiMoon
Being in Hawaii, it's hard when I see this stuff. I can't have snakes anymore here in this state. We all don't have the same methods. It is a drag when we see all this negative stuff like calling out somebody's errors when everyone doesn't do it the same and we aren't doing it right either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!