Estimating age of leo based on weight/size - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Milwaukee Reptiles
Estimating age of leo based on weight/size

As recently discussed on a thread about age/size of leos (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=64895), I have decided to compile data about all the leos I hatch this year.

I'm thinking of creating something in excel quick, which would list the age, weight, and length of my geckos from birth, taken at one week intervals.

After enough data about the animals have been gathered, it could be used to create a nice graph so that people can easily see approximately how old their animal is just my knowing the weight. Obviously it would be an approximation, but it could be useful if enough data is gathered.

I was thinking something real basic like...

Age ----------weight--------length
0 days--------3 grams ------ 2 in
7 days ------- 5 grams ----- 2.5 in
14 days ------ 6 grams ----- 2.5 in
...ect...

It could also include genetics information... it'll be interesting to compare different morphs.. maybe a certain morph grows faster/slower (obviously a giant is a good example). I could seperate the data by:
- Morph (ex. Tremper albino may grow faster than bells... just an example don't rip me apart!)
- All animals
- Animals fed on crickets vs mealworms vs roaches
- Animals hatched after July 1st vs Animals hatched before July 1st
the list goes on and on...

If anyone else wants to help just send me the data (Minimum age/weight/length/genetic info) and I'll combine it with whatever I get this year (All info you send will be cited with a link to your site). I'll let you all know when I have some data of my own.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
paulv
Could be quite interesting

I have been keeping records for the last 2 months, just on weight gain, and all my gecko's are picking up around 3 grams in a week. They are mainly fed on crickets.

I got 2 albino's in the beginning of December they both weighed 5 grams when i got them, yesterday they weighed in at 32 grams! Not bad i think.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
robin d.
thats gonna he hard to do because of the simple fact most everyone feeds ,even a little, different.. some a mixed diet (roaches,mealies,crix, silkworms).. what and how you are gutloading, how often you feed your animals, if you suppliment and if so how often and what, the genetics of the leo, the morph it is going to be VERY hard to do considering these factors. every animals is different too some fast growers some slow growers some constant and some just dont grow at all... also possible parasite like pins come into play if people do or do not know if they have them... the temps and environments, where you keep your babies is there loud noises that might stress them (my babies get used to loud noises quick cuz i crank up the volume... especially when i have eggs getting ready to hatch anyday [they might even be born used to it lmao]... its so loud imy neighbors can hear the music two houses down about 1/4 of a mi, easily)... its gonna have allot more to do than just what you feed the morph how old how long and what weight, allot more factors come into play

Old 02-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
hill4803
Estimating age in leos is pretty much a guessing game. Most of the time I just take a stab at it based on their pattern. Sometimes the bands break up early and some are late bloomers. Of course, you couldn't use that on some morphs!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
StinaUIUC
It may not be particularly easy to estimate...but with enough data it should be at least somewhat accurate. Weren't child growth charts made the same way?...every kid grows at their own rate and eats different things (i'm sure more varied than most leopard geckos), but you can look at height and weight for age and tell where they are among kids of the same age. I don't know that it could be used to estimate age very accurately...but I think a chart would still be useful in seeing how individual hatchlings are growing. I think it would be very interesting if what the babies are fed, how they are supplemented, and their basic genetics were included in the information. If a lot of people participate there should be a lot of data and general trends should show up.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Milwaukee Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC
Weren't child growth charts made the same way?...every kid grows at their own rate and eats different things (i'm sure more varied than most leopard geckos), but you can look at height and weight for age and tell where they are among kids of the same age.
That's exactly what I was thinking, something like that could be useful for keeping track of individuals. Again, it would only provide a very rough estimate of age. It won't be accurate enough until you have a LOT of data to work with. At a minimum, just the age/length/weight. I was thinking it would be nice if you could seperate by all those other factors, but again, you would need a lot of data before any of it becomes significant. I'm going to do this anyway for a season and see what the data looks like after a full season.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
robin d.
Quote:
Weren't child growth charts made the same way?...
yes but we are human beings not comprised of subspecies... and these charts are for yes the basic child but consider third world country children to do have this growth rate... of even just different races from other countries... iit differs i am sure

Quote:
and their basic genetics were included in the information.
but since our animals are so sub specoificly crossed and crossed and then crossed again... it is going to be a very hard task and i do not believe an accurate one

Old 02-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
Milwaukee Reptiles
I guess we'll find out!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
StinaUIUC
Quote:
yes but we are human beings not comprised of subspecies... and these charts are for yes the basic child but consider third world country children to do have this growth rate... of even just different races from other countries... iit differs i am sure
True....but
Quote:
since our animals are so sub specoificly crossed and crossed and then crossed again
should that not mean that all of the genetics are mixed together making it would be more likely for a general average than if they were not crossed subspecies? I would think that since the subspecies have been crossed for so long and so much, that there would be a general average growth rate in a group of animals of say all one morph (to rule out the possibility of different morphs affecting size or growth) and fed the same thing.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
robin d.
Quote:
should that not mean that all of the genetics are mixed together making it would be more likely for a general average than if they were not crossed subspecies?
you would think yes but for instanccce ray hine line leos are long and trim for the most part... allot of abbarant and jungles (not the red stripes) tend to be more on the small side, bells seem to grow a little slower (i think this has to do with there sensitivity to light... just a hunch though). then you have giants whch lenbths and weights run different way across the boardsmost leos up to about 5-10 years ago were MUCH smaller than what we see today.. but allot of those smaller genes are still out there mostly seen in the non hypos,tangerines,patternless and giants. i mean it is a great idea but i think its going to be very hard.
now that being said i do not know why you can't track the average size of your leos offspring and get a good general estimation on the animals that you breed but i think something based as a whole for everyone and all their geckos it's going to be close to impossible. like i know that my line of bold stripes will get to 60+ grams (no more than 70) and thats second year weights. I have some breedings of a super hypo tang ct x tangerine that is short and stout the first year and gets large after the second year. so i can estimate what my leos will be like and grow like but what goes on in my leo room isn't the same as what goes on in your leo room, kellis leo room, marciias leo room and brians leo room.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!