help with my snake room - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
dandereptiles
Talking help with my snake room

Hello all, IM looking for some help here I just finished off a room in my basement. I studded all the walls insulated all the walls then sheet rocked them there all typed up no windows just a door the room is 12 feet long by 5 feet wide and 7 feet high with 20 boas to be living in there so here is the question, what should I do about fresh air for the snakes? I mean how much fresh air would they need? The basement is around 70* to 75* in the summer and we heat it to 65 in the winter so in that room ill have to run the heat all year long so I want to keep that heat in as much as I could.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Griz
Dee, with our major differences aside, here is my .02 cents. I just did the identical thing as you with a room that is 12 x 10 x 8 foot. The one exception is that I used solid freezer insulation in my walls (I had extra laying around but most people would not have access to it). I have a 6 foot baseboard heater in the room that is hooked up to a thermostat to maintain the ambient room temp at 82 degree's. My flexwatt tape provides the hot spots in each of the animals enclosures to give me 93 degree's. My room is sealed completely and fresh air is not an issue for me. When I open the doors, which is 3-4 times per day that gives me a good deal of air coming into the room to exchange. In addition, during the winter months, I will be running a humidifier in the room to keep the humidity up. Right now, I do not do anything for humidity other than water bowls on the hot sides and that keeps things in the room and enclosures at 53 percent.

With your room being significantly narrower I don't know if that will create any issues as obviously smaller rooms are more difficult to control. Much like maintaining the proper chlorine content in a kiddy pool vs in an olympic size pool. However, I think for the most part you will be fine just make sure you have a thermostat is dependable. My basement is kept at 75 degree's year round so even if my therm fails my animals will not be getting too cold. Good luck.

Griz

Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
DragonCharm
Put an exhaust fan in on a timer, let it run like 30 mins a few times a day or something like that. Should be sufficient. If you feel it's still getting stale in there run it a few more times a day. You can use a timer that has the little pegs that go down when it should be on and push down as many as you want. Heck you can do a 15 min peg every hour if you feel the need.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:51 AM   #4
dandereptiles
Talking

Thank you for the info Bob I will run my basement at 75 in the winter that's a good idea just incase the heat goes out. IM just worried the Co. in there getting high and kills them. Rich the fan should work well too set on a timer

Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
DragonCharm
Waterbury eh? Howdy neighbor.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!