Carrot Tails - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-28-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
USAGECKOS
Carrot Tails

Hello everyone,

Recently someone posted a comment on one of my HTC pictures, it said

Quote:
for it to be a CT there should be no spotting at the base, since there is spotting there, i would call it a HT

Here is the picture I posted:

Do Leos need to have no spotting on the tail base in order for it to be a CT, or is this just someones opinion?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
groovygeckos
opinion i would say

there are hypo and non hypo CT`s

Old 09-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
groovygeckos
the only guide i hear for CT is ..........

more than 15-20 percent is CT !alot of tangerines are carrottails too ,, that is after all what someone selectively bred from to get " carrottails "

Old 09-28-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
USAGECKOS
I wasn't questioning whether a Hypo can be a CT, I was questioning whether a gecko can be called a CT if it has black bands at the base of the tail.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
geckokreeper
I would say yes, it can have spots or bands and still be called a ct. Most of the ct Ive seen have some spots on the tail and some still have bands as well. I agree that at least around 15% to be ct but somtimes you cant tell with the younger leos.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
groovygeckos
my point

it is a carrottail ( ithink) regardless of hypo characteristic (lack of spotting / banding) carrottails and hypo ct or tang came from selectively bred hi-yellos and so on and forth ! later called tangerine (when they showed more orange) and carrottail when they showed more orange on the tail ! its not as if a carrottail, a tangerine or hypo of either ,arent closely related ! this is why the CT and TANG combine so well when bred together .......i wouldnt say that one cannot be the other also

Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
USAGECKOS
One more time......

I wasn't asking if a Hypo can or can't be a CT, I know they can. I was asking if a Gecko would be considered a CT if it has black bands at the base of the tail (emphasis on the "Base of the Tail")

Would you consider the gecko in the picture a CT?

Thanks again

Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
WizardLizards
We were told....

that carrottail couldn't have any spotting, by several. Here is a picture of one of my juv. and we were told that she isn't a carrottail....who knows. I think it depends on the person. Hopefully there will be more responses to this and we'll find out for sure.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
1derfool
There's a visible difference between 'true' carrot-tails and leos with a lot of orange/red coloring in their tails. Technically you can call your leo anything you want, but the term 'carrot-tail' was coined for those from one particular breeder. Any leo that can't trace it's ancestors to that line shouldn't be called a carrot-tail as far as I'm concerned.

Imitation is a form of flattery, but you still only have an imitation. There are natural blondes and bottle blondes.... only one is the real thing. Same with carrot-tails and carrot-tail wanna-be's.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
wdawg
my opinion probably doesn't matter since I'm not
a breeder, but I don't consider it to be a CT if it
has black dots on the base of the tail.

I think it be great if there were more clarification/specifics
on morphs.. I remember first looking for Leo's and
became really confused. I see people selling SHTCT
on kingsnake all the time, but half of them (IMO) are
just high yellows or SHT.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!