DWARF Leopard Geckos??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
DWARF Leopard Geckos???

There is an ad on the "other" website's classifieds for dwarf leopard geckos, and it states that they "would make an interesting breeding project". I don't know how any of you feel about this, but it is my belief that this is a genetic defect and therefore the geckos should NOT be allowed to breed. I am very upset, and do not want to see this type of thing propagated into the general leo population! Am I over-reacting, or should I contact the people selling these geckos?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
leaftail
oh man, this pops up every few years. people get real small leos and they think its cool. what it probably means is they are not genetically strong (they are runts, sheesh). I would never breed them. but someone will.

marcia, contact them. Probably wont change their minds about selling. But I'd be interested to hear how they acquired this trio. I saw no "wanted" ads for runty leos in 2001.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
-JayDog-
Just to play Devils Advocate... I'm not positive, but isn't the Tremper Giant a mutation? Instead of small, they're large. So if there are no health issues or if the dwarf leos are not in any pain, Does it still make it a bad thing?

I'm not tahing any sides here, just replying with a thought.

-Jason

Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
mmfrankford
Is it even safe for the females to breed ? And yeah I agree they must be runts or suffered malnutrition at some point in thier lives. Of course that one female doesn't look too starved now. That is some of the largest fat pockets behind the front legs I've seen on a leo. Maybe a bit too fat for a breeding leo?

Old 02-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Jeremy Letkey
I think that this is a moral issue. I think that we breed geckos that have mutations or defects to gain a desireable trait. I do not see this as a desireable trait at all though. I would want to know the long term health of such an animal. I certainly would'nt want to unknowingly purchase a normal appearing gecko that came from a pairing of "dwarf" geckos.

In the hands of a reputeable breeder this might be acceptable. They would have to do a long term study and make sure that the geckos were healthy.
However in the wrong hands there is too much potential for things to go bad.

So i guess that I am with you on this Marcia. I don't think that these geckos should be bred for the simple fact that I wouldn't want the gene pool accidentally poluted.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Intense Herpetoculture
In my experience, it is not a genetic defect, but rather just leos that had their growth stunted. How is this done, well, low temps and/or improper amounts of food. Large loads of parasites might also help out. This can cause serious problems if you wish to breed the animal in question. Females are likely to become egg bound, they are also likely to drop massive amounts of weight during egg production. She may not be able to recover and die shortly there after. As you can see, bad news! I for one would seriously take a look at the person offering them, and consider their ethics involved with selling animals. Perhaps they are simply misguided or ignorant, but something is currently wrong with their mode of thought.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Herpetoculture
... something is currently wrong with their mode of thought.
Their mode of thought is "quick money"...

If someone stumbled on a colony of dwarf leos in the wild, living and reproducing and genetically healthy (proof by Darwin) then I'd say COOL!!!! I'll buy me some.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
They exist, just in the form of a different species found a little bit more to the west, <i> Eublepharis turcmenicus</i>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaftail
Their mode of thought is "quick money"...

If someone stumbled on a colony of dwarf leos in the wild, living and reproducing and genetically healthy (proof by Darwin) then I'd say COOL!!!! I'll buy me some.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
Sarah H
I would think there is possably something wrong with them, which would lead to problems being bred. I think the should just be pets.

Here's my "dwarf" I hatched out last year. In the pic that is her sister who is normal sized. I will just keep her as a pet unless I would a pet home I approved of. She acually looks very dwarfish, look at the shape of her face and the difference of her tail, she is really strange but cute and very sweet.
I won't be breeding her mother again, I am not sure if I should bred here normal sized sisters(only 2). They are all about a year old now. As you can see she never had an eating problem. She even looked very different as a hatchling.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
Golden Gate Geckos
dwarfs

Quote:
I don't think that these geckos should be bred for the simple fact that I wouldn't want the gene pool accidentally poluted.
My exact thoughts. I have actually seen "dwarf" leopard geckos, and they are not just small, they have a bull-dogish body and a very short, squatty tail. The two females in the ad appear to display these characteristics, while the male does not... he is just real small.

Yes, we have created genetic mutations in the evolution of the Leopard Gecko, but for the most part these traits are desireable, as Jeremy stated. I honestly feel that 'we' have an ethical responsibility to improve the species, and not exploit the undesireable faults. Irresponsibly promoting these traits as "an interesting breeding project" just plain old scares me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!