Why do people....... More..... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
Vince
for some reason i tap on the glass and make a pshh pshh pshhh noise like i do to my cat, lol , they all run for cover.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
VipVenom
I don't talk to my leos like they are people ,but I would say that they do show some kind of "loyalty" to an imediate owner. Some of my geckos prefer me to my friends. Do I think they love me not at all. If I sold it they probably wouldn't even write me. I think that people mistake the geckos as "loving" them when they are just accustomed to seeing a certain person. They get used to your sent or heat or something like that. Some of my geckos climb on my hand when I reach in to their cages. So I would say that leos do have some sort of "thing" for their owner even if it is not love.

Why is humanizing something so bad? People humanize many things in their lives. I think it is only natural to humanize things. If it is so weird why are countries refered to as "she" or the "motherland". Why is nature mothernature. And why are most of the disney characters animals that walk and talk like humans. There are tons of other examples of why humanizing things is just what people do.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
Vince
i dont even think they go that far, I belive its human nature for people to see more in something then is actualy there. just MHO

Old 02-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
Gregg M
What bad about humanizing animals???? Lets see..... Well in the case of animals like tigers or any big cat, humanizing them can set you up for a trip to the hospital or to the grave..... The same would go for any animal that is able to injure or kill a person..... Some people even go as far as to inpose what they believe to be good for them on their pets..... Have you ever heard of some whackos that feed their carnivorus animals veggies because the owner is a vegitarian???? I have heard it many times..... Animals are animals.... Reptiles are wild animals no matter how many are born in captivity..... They are what they are..... They are not emotional, people loving creatures....

Old 02-18-2005, 08:32 PM   #15
StinaUIUC
I agree that they do not show human emotions...however I also agree with Chris that it is natural to anthropomorphize (not sure I spelled that right...lol). I call my truck a she and her name is "The Beast" and I yell at her when she makes funny noises or beeps at me...but I still know that she's an innanimate object...lol Even with dogs and cats...they don't feel "love"...dogs have a pack mentality and feel more comfortable with their "pack" around...be it of humans or other animals...and some cats just like the feeling of being petted and rubbed. Of course I still say that my animals love me and such...but I know that they don't really...it just makes me feel better to pretend!

Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #16
Tripple H Herps
Quote:
Alot of people confuse some reptiles with having a personality when in actuality it is individual instinctive behaviors......
- I think this part of your statement is some how wrong. I deal with TONS of animals each day. Some about 50-200 of one species ( as I am a dealer ). I can tell you first hand that each animal has a completely different personality from the rest. They all seem to like something different, they all seem to even show different actions. Sometimes at night I will have only two snakes awake and all the others sleeping. Those same two will come out every night though. I have carpets that seem to know who I am once I get them out. If I let wife hold them they might try to bite her. So I do think they have there own personality. Love might be to far fetched, but thinking and understanding (in a primitive form) I see as a good possibility. I also have beardies that can distinguish the difference between me and my wife. Is this because I always feed them? Even if that were so, they still could associate and "understand" who will feed them. Oh and for the record Vince, I have a beardie that jumps around the cage as well. Though, he is not even hungry instead he jumps on my hand and runs up my shoulders. This could be for numerous reasons, but I bet its because the animal wants to get out of the cage for some fun. Now I know I am going to get some disagreements for this post - but this is all from what I have observed and how I take the animals behavior.

Quote:
I don't talk to my leos like they are people ,but I would say that they do show some kind of "loyalty" to an imediate owner. Some of my geckos prefer me to my friends. Do I think they love me not at all. If I sold it they probably wouldn't even write me. I think that people mistake the geckos as "loving" them when they are just accustomed to seeing a certain person. They get used to your sent or heat or something like that. Some of my geckos climb on my hand when I reach in to their cages. So I would say that leos do have some sort of "thing" for their owner even if it is not love.
-I can agree with this post. Except one thing I found VERY odd. I have a bearded dragon, his name is Spike..lol. Now I have about 4 PET beardies. I left the house for a week. My wife had to take care of all the animals. Three days into the week I get a call. One of the beardies is completely dark every day. She handles it, and nothing has changed in care requirements at all. The bearded still does not become bright in color and happy. All the other three are perfectly fine. However "spike" seems to be facing emotional stress. Well I come home after the week is up. As soon as I take out "spike" his colors are almost completely restored to yellow. I just found this extremely peculiar. This is also the same bearded that I was referring to when I said it jumps on my hands and gos to my shoulders. Is this something odd?? I think I am going to do a controlled experiment and see what happens. If you guys would support me with that idea, I would be glad to do so, I can take photos and record my observations. It might not prove anything indefinitely, but it would be interesting to see the results as compared to the other three bearded dragons.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #17
Bringerofdoom
I Agree %100 greg. I remember when i was younger i questioned a friend who was feeding a piece of pizza to his iguana, to get this answer "Hey! its got veggies on it, dont it? He can eat whatever he wants to eat" I so badly wanted to slap this moron.

I know tons of people that attach emotions to reptiles. I can understand with leo's though with that "smile" they look happy. As i found out they look just that cute, until they strike.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #18
Vince
if an iggy could love anything , it would be pizza.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #19
Gregg M
The way an animal reacts to certain stimuli does not mean it has a personality..... Your bearded drogon climbs your arm to the highest point because it sees an "out"....... It also does not qualify to have a personality because it "knows who you are"....... Which brings me to another point..... Learned behavior does not mean "personality" but it is a primative type of intel...... It has been scientificly proven that reptiles for the most part do not have the brain fuction to know right from wrong or to feel emotions such as liking something, loving something, being happy, sad, or having fun..... They simply lack the parts of the brain that are responcible for the things...... And from what I have seen in the thousands of animals that have passed through my hands, there is nothing to tell me otherwise....

Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #20
montezuma
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a humanizer or leo's... this is part of a 7 step program right?
This thread has me in stitches! I guess it's because I am guilty of most of it. I know my geckos don't "like" me, they tolerate me because I tend to their daily needs!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!