Silkworms as a staple diet? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
Abraxas
Warning! Silkworms as a staple diet?

I just wanna know what you think about that.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
I think that silkworms make an excellent staple diet for Leopard Geckos! They are much more nutritious, and cleaner than crickets or mealworms. The downside is they are expensive unless you raise them yourself, which many people do for smaller numbers of geckos.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I think that silkworms make an excellent staple diet for Leopard Geckos! They are much more nutritious, and cleaner than crickets or mealworms. The downside is they are expensive unless you raise them yourself, which many people do for smaller numbers of geckos.
Another downfall is they are very sensitive to bacteria, they die easy if you aren't carefull. I wish I could raise them myself, most of my geckos love them, they go crazy for them.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
groovygeckos
I personally have never seen my Geckos more excited than when they see a big fat silkie . Theres a new "silkworm wholesale" advertising on KS , w/ pretty good prices . Havent ordered from them though .

Old 08-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovygeckos
I personally have never seen my Geckos more excited than when they see a big fat silkie . Theres a new "silkworm wholesale" advertising on KS , w/ pretty good prices . Havent ordered from them though .
I checked out their site, the only problem with them is you can't pick a size to order. You can order say 250 and it says that they will be 3/4 or bigger. I like to order Full Grown Silkies.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
I am going to order some eggs hopefully next month and give it a try at hatching them since you can refrigerate the eggs til you need them. They are supposed to hatch and grow to 1/2" within 2 weeks at 80-82 with proper care, here is the wholesale link

http://www.shop.silkwormwholesale.co...ryStyle=Style1

10,000 eggs are $27 plus shipping, but you have to have the chow or mulberry leaves to feed the silkworms.

Ive never ordered from them but have had some emails back and forth and do plan to order next month when I have the cash.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
USAGECKOS
I just ordered 100 from them (All supposed to be 1/2" or bigger). I hope they are good, because the price was only $13.50 shipped with a cold pack.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
Jeanne, let me know what you think about them, they have been very helpful with emails and questions I have had. I want to order some now but just can't for a few weeks.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Wasnt quick enough

Actually you can ask for large per her website . I think its up to 500 'large' can be in one box for the same price as the 1" worms . Maybe you can e-mail a request for larger ones now .

Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
groovygeckos
Quote:
All supposed to be 1/2" or bigger
Another thing it says "size does matter all orders of 1000 and under will be at least 1" long ".(thought that was pretty funny )

Ill tell you though even a month old baby can eat a one inch worm they are not very large and will go quickly . 100 will just be a small snack at that size.

So for me 3-4 weeks just to raise them to an inch from eggs is just a nightmare. They eat ALOT . LOL (the worms and the geckos)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!