Cut throat TT debate (not for the weak of heart!) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #31
groovygeckos
Just think that the color is allready the least confusing part, since we can all see how much color is there or not very easily. What everyone has problems with are the "Super Hypo" or CT part of the equation.

It would be nice Brian, but realistically, we have yet to get everyone set to the current standards as it is.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #32
WindyO
Thank you one and all for your heart felt opinions. I enjoyed this very much and i look forward to upsetting the community again with another hairbrained idea for conversation. Maybe we can come up with a name for snow to snow bred......... they already did that huh. Oh, how about naming the extreme examples of albino tangs............dang. I'll think of something. How about bold stripe x tangerine........oh well. When in Rome.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #33
KatieDB
The only problem I have with making up names to describe one's leos is when the names are misleading.

If TUG's leos were lackluster and he called them "Tornado Tangerines" so that he could sell them for more than they were worth that would be one thing. But from what Ive seen the geckos are good quality and very orange(at least more orange than your average SHT). He also seems to be pretty honest with his advertising and sales pitch.

As long as the leos are healthy and the wool isn't being pulled over the consumers eyes, Im happy.

:eatpointe

Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #34
A_Kendergirl
I'm perfectly happy with the star rating people use (TUG and Albey come to mind). I'm considering doing something along those lines myself when I get my site running and my geckos breeding.

While TUG is (kinda) straight forward about TT being nice SHT, when you look at the site it seems at times that they are referred to as a separate morph. It's causing a lot of unnecessary confusion, and started people calling their own tangs TT just to make an extra buck.

If you want to refine definitions of morphs, I agree that super hypo/hypo and carrot tail are the place to start.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #35
WindyO
But the point is what makes this a 3 star and this one a five star. Everyone will call theirs all five stars. What is the defenition of a four star gecko? I gave up on this but what do you think would work? I can't get three people to agree on anything here. So i will just list mine as i see fit to and not worry about what everyone else is doing.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #36
Jeremy Letkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyO
I can't get three people to agree on anything here. So i will just list mine as i see fit to and not worry about what everyone else is doing.
Brian, I think that you are starting to get it. LOL :scatter:

Old 01-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #37
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyO
Calm down everyone.This is just a thread.
O.o;; We are calm? You're the only one telling people to calm down. We're just presenting our opinions. If you're seeing negativity in here it's because of your own paranoia. Relax buddy!

So far I haven't really seen any strong supporters of your idea. It was a good idea, I just don't think it will work based upon what I've read in this thread and upon my own experience. If anything, I think the star system should be used. Still, that's going to be a problem of its own, since everybody has a different perception of what a 5 star animal will be like. Smaller breeders (such as myself) who simply don't produce a lot of babies will feel pressured into having at least one five star animal on their site even if the animal probably shouldn't be classified as such, otherwise they'll feel like they can't compete with the big name breeders.

Creating a standardized system for something as arbitrary as tang intensity seems pretty unfeasible to me. It's like trying to classify gourmet food. Some people will call a gourmet dish 5 stars, but I may not like the stuff at all! Trying to standardize anything by relying on fickle, easily influenced human senses (and the human mind, at that), is extremely difficult.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:51 AM   #38
WindyO
Oh i had it all along jeremy. Over 500 veiws in less than 24hrs.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:57 AM   #39
WindyO
I kept an eye on who was coming in and out of this thread. There were some heavy hitters who didn't leave posts that were watching. You didn't actually think i was going to go through the effort of doing this on my own. I meant this as way to get peoples true feelings out. The best way to find out how people feel is to get them mad or passionate about something.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #40
WindyO
Vanessa i gave an easy explanation of a simple way to grade the levels of color to a standard. One which I'm sure all of us are capable of doing. One that leaves what ever your mental deficiencies are out of the process. There would be no guess work. You can tell if something is lighter or darker than something right? Now everyone seems to be able to get the % of carrot tail right so could you figure out the % of body color?
Thats it! A two step process.........no DNA or proving hets. I am even willing to bet if it was practiced we could do it in seconds. Hold a colored tab next to it and if it is a richer color move to step two. Figure out the dominant color % within reason and if it is higher than the agreed upon % you are a winner!The only hard thing would be getting people to agree on the color and % levels. Which is why i am throwing the towel. This next comment is not aimed at anyone in particular. This is like fighting Rocky.You keep punching him in the face and he keeps coming.I already know Dan is waiting to tell me some other reasons why my idea sucks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!