Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #31
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko_Den
I'm confused Marcia(like that's hard to believe), but aren't you registered breeder #0016 on the Leopard Gecko Registry? Doesn't that mean you bought into the idea, or is it just a free link?
LOL!!! Yes, I am! I have also given my input to LGR to participate in their beta-test for the new format. I'd love to see this idea work, but I am still pessimistic.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #32
g&mgeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
I just now caught this thread...Wish someone would have forwarded me the link.
I haven't responded yet because I was waiting to see what the response would be from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseHerpetoculture
With that being said, I have a feeling that while the LGR was created out of a good idea. It's nothing more then a hungry power trip for those who created it, and perhaps even those that are members. Time is better put somewhere else and with something much more creative.
This I feel was an unfair statement. What I mean is I don't think it is a power trip on anyones part. Creaters or members. Hell I wish I would have had the idea first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyLetkey
I'm sure that Stephanie had good intentions but I am the one who attaches my name to the animals that I sell. I am the one who stands behind them and I am the one who makes sure that when someone buys an animal from me, they are happy. I don't think that any certificate from a third party is going to do that.
Jeremy I don't think this is the intendtion of LGR. Your animals would still have your name attached to it. But I think if I had some of your BAD Raining Red Stripes I would welcome the oppurtunity to be able to verify any offspring I produced has coming from YOUR lines. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNYGecko
agreed. theres a reason for free enterprise. and although i whole heartedly disagree with out sourcing, i feel that every other aspect of free enterprise is great. we dont need a system of checks and balances outside of the market consumers and breeders themselves. this would in short limit what breeders could call theyre morphs due to paperwork and like stated above would become a real pain in the arse. i dont know if the people in charge were looking for a power trip. perhaps the intentions were good but the overall plan on how to carry out those intentions is a little flawed.
Tom you should be thrilled to have a chance to be able to prove the lines you have. What I mean is you (like myself) being the new kids on the block. Well lets just say it is hard to sell animals when you first start being able to prove the lines you have would in theory help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNYGecko
which is why i dont buy or ever will anything from reptile auction or any place buy the big guys, such as you Marcia or Dan L. or Kelli.
This is exactly what I am getting at Tom. Your not the only one that feels that way. So wouldn't it in theory be nice to be able to back up what you have?

Also there has been several mention the AKC. Well for one I don't think you can compare the two. And I think all the scamming that has been mention here with that group and the fact of the large prize money that is offered is why we are seeing them try to crack down on a system that needed overhauling a long time ago.

Quote:
Down the road, we would love to sponsor a Leopard Gecko show at one of the larger US shows. The ACR did it. However, for that to work, I would need more supporters of the LGR and other individuals willing to shoulder some of the work. We also at this time couldn't do a 50 grand best of show obviously, but a few hundred bucks would be more plausible.
That sounds like a very cool idea!
Quote:
You know, I'm not knocking Herpportal...but I attempted to register with them as a breeder about 6 months ago and received no reply...Anyone else have a problem with this?
I have had problems also.

I think it is a good idea. But I am not so sure it will work after reading the feelings everyone is having right now. But it sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:36 PM   #33
LeosForLess
WOW you handeled tha textremely well! Lol i thought you werent going to respond at all, i was just going to post a "Look, the person who made LGR hasnt responded" So congratulations, i think the idea og the LGR is a great idea, oen reason is ive heard a carrot tail has to be at least 30%, and as low as at least 10%, and it would be nice to have some guidelines as to these morphs.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #34
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by g&mgeckos
Hell I wish I would have had the idea first!
She wasn't the 1st one to come up with that idea. I am sure there is someone here that can remember the subject coming up a long time ago... I remember the discussion but not when.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #35
PaulSage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I could see it being more valuable/worthwhile with something like the ball python or bearded dragon market however.
I disagree in the fact that I think Leos are just as valuable/worthwhile as a BP or Beardie. However, as soon as the LGR is complete (new site and programming), we are making a sister site to the LGR for Beardies.
I never said that leos were less valuable or worthwhile than balls or beardies. I said that I thought it [the program] would be more valuable/worthwhile for those two species. My reasoning lies in the apparent greater concern over bloodlines, genetics and inbreeding with dragons, as well as the higher dollar figures and the "het game" associated with ball pythons. I keep all three of the above mentioned species, and the first that I would consider registering would be the bearded dragons without a doubt. However, all of my ball pythons are just normals, but if I had morphs/hets then they would come in a real close second.

I'm not arguing with you, Steph. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that I did not imply that leos were less worthy, and I also wanted to state my reasoning for saying what I did. Let me know when the bearded dragon program is up and running.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #36
The NY Gecko
yes, it would be thrilling, but the costs of someone like me being new to them market and trying to register is a little out of the question. if it was a feasible expenditure for someone such as me then perhaps i would, but being strapped for cash na donly being a very small time guy its not soemthing that would be reasonable.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #37
LeosForLess
It is free till 07, right? Tat should be time for people to get their breeders and stuff. But i doubt people will be willing to pay, mabey if they could get an emailed certificate or somthing.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #38
dragonflyreptiles
Steph, question for you...

Ok you say that the line needs to be confirmed by the breeder.

Ok I have some Crested gecko stock that I bought from Paul Sage, if I register them with you as Crested Geckos stock, are you going to email Paul then Garrick to make sure that is the true line.

That is what is confusing to me, also if I sell a Leo to Joe Blow and he sells it to Joe Snow, then he sells it etc. Then you email me to confirm it came from my breeders years later how would I know 100% or even 50% for that matter.

How do you plan to confirm the breeding line for new registries?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #39
dragonflyreptiles
oh and sorry I have a good friend names Stephanie and I call her Steph, no disrespect intended, just habit!

Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #40
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
WOW you handeled tha textremely well! Lol i thought you werent going to respond at all, i was just going to post a "Look, the person who made LGR hasnt responded"
I would have responded much sooner if I had known about the thread. Better late then never I guess.

Quote:
She wasn't the 1st one to come up with that idea. I am sure there is someone here that can remember the subject coming up a long time ago... I remember the discussion but not when.
No, I'm not the first. I am however the only one who's followed through with it. I thought it was important enough to dump my time and money into it, and I still believe that!

Quote:
I never said that leos were less valuable or worthwhile than balls or beardies.
I apologize for mistaking your comment.

Quote:
My reasoning lies in the apparent greater concern over bloodlines, genetics and inbreeding with dragons
I 100% agree! I think that the BDR (Bearded Dragon Registry) will be run more so based on lines then morphs. We all know what a mess the morphs are in BD's...I'm not about to try and pull apart every single trade name! I think we will give the option of individuals naming their "morphs" as they so choose and simply follow backgrounds. All that of course is still open in the air. I would love your input on the subject if you would like to email me so we can discuss it.

Quote:
It is free till 07, right? Tat should be time for people to get their breeders and stuff. But i doubt people will be willing to pay, mabey if they could get an emailed certificate or somthing.
You are correct! The free grace period is for breeders to register their stock and begin building the Database. We know that some breeders have 50+ geckos and it would be insane to pay all of their registration fees. As for certificates...Each individual gecko gets a glossy printed certificate (http://leopardgeckoregistry.com/UPDA...tificates.html) and an online viewable certificate...For verification purposes.

Quote:
Ok I have some Crested gecko stock that I bought from Paul Sage, if I register them with you as Crested Geckos stock, are you going to email Paul then Garrick to make sure that is the true line.
If you are registering a gecko that you purchased and the gecko is not from registered breeding stock (IE registered parents), then it would be considered a new line. If the gecko is from a registered breeder (and still not from registered parents), then the LGR will contact them for confirmation and a notation will be made in the database.

Quote:
That is what is confusing to me, also if I sell a Leo to Joe Blow and he sells it to Joe Snow, then he sells it etc. Then you email me to confirm it came from my breeders years later how would I know 100% or even 50% for that matter.
If you sell a registered gecko to someone, a Transfer of Ownership form must be submitted to the LGR along with the original certificate to update the database and make any requested updates.

If an individual has a gecko, says you sold it to him as registered gecko #456123 and he doesn't have the original Specimen Registration Cert, then we will not transfer ownership. The printed Cert will only be given to the individual who submitted the registration and in turn must be given to the new owner. If by chance the buyer does not want to transfer ownership and the gecko remains in the database as the breeders stock, the breeder can email the LGR and notify them of the situation and the gecko will then be put on an "inactive" status. The gecko would only be returned to "active" status if someone comes up with the original Specimen Registration Cert and submits a Transfer of Ownership...

Quote:
oh and sorry I have a good friend names Stephanie and I call her Steph, no disrespect intended, just habit!
Stef is fine!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!