SHTCTB market dropping?!?!? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
snared99
I agree the tornados from TUG are nice but the cash...holly crap! All i was sayign bout the RAPTORS it you will definetly see RAPTOR/APTORS come from hets but with a morph with double recessive genes is more difficult to mass produce then lets say just LVPA's or somethign or that sort. I think they will drop but in the same way as the tangs. There is a wide degree of tang out there and you definetly get what you pay for but they are not hard to produce like a RAPTOR is. Not sayign it is hard to produce a raptor but harder to hatch then a hypo or tang.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #22
WindyO
OK, i wasn't condeming RAPTORS or any other breed. I was just thinking that with eight breeders that i know of , there will be alot of babies this year. Especially since RT is one of them. . I agree that there will be various qualities that will flucuate the prices, but i don't know to what degree.Since patternless is one of the genes i don't think the body color will vary that much. Just some different levels of carrot tails and head markings. I don't know since i don't have any and albinos aren't my thing.This is just all a guess. If i were going that route i would get a male and a female. Breeding them to return my investment first. At the same time stud the male to my better SHTCT females to get what i am guessing would be hets. So the third year i could easily hatch out 80 or so having purchased only to geckos.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
WindyO
I am kind of new to the web and i don't know who TUG is. Can someone please help me out with this? I would like to get their web address please.
Also i own a Tangerine Tornado and one of Kelli's offspring. Kelli's gecko had the better head markings. Almost like a carrot tail orange/red. The TT has the better body though. It is almost a solid color(deep orange). I am sure Kelli will surpass this though. The girl she sold me was incredible and at a VERY reasonable price. I am excited to see what they produce this season.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #24
Jeremy Letkey
TUG = The Urban Gecko.
The Breeder who coined the term "Tangerine Tornado", to try to set their tangerines apart from anyone elses. Craig does have great geckos but I'll take an animal from Kelli @ Hisss anyday...

Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
WindyO
Thanks Jeremy for answering my question. I feel kind of embarrassed now for not figuring that one out. Also thanks for the forum directions. It is nice to B.S. with others who are into this.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #26
g&mgeckos
Also I don't think it has been touch on yet ( I might have missed it) but genetics come in to play. I would rather buy one of Kelli's low-end tangs for 150-200 then a tang for 45 - 100 from some one I don't know because I know from experience that Kelli's have a strong genetic background and are just stronger animals. Just my two cents nothing personal.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #27
The NY Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyO
SHTCTB's are line bred and even then you will need a little luck to get nice colors. Just because you breed a baldie to a baldie doesn't mean all of the babies will be baldies. So TT's are a long way down the selective breeding chain. It's not like albino's or patternless where they have it or not.
I will be breeding a TT and a SHTCTB with an orange head this year and i am hoping to get between $400 and $600 each. Each year a new morph is on the market they decrease about half. The people who buy them when they first come out breed them and so the supply increases dropping the prices.
It was only a two years ago when albino trempers carrot heads were $1200. Now you can get a male from RT for $400. APTORS were a $1000 each and i would bet they will be a few hundred in a couple of years.
With the way things are going with RAPTORS and SNOWS it looks like all the markets are flooded. You just have to find a grove and love it for the hobby. If you try to selectively breed with some of these big breeders they will blow you out of the market. You might be able to aford one gecko of the latest morph. You get it and start breeding it to get a group started. By the time you have a couple of lesser examples of the new morph to sell in a couple of years the other guys have the market flooded.
So what i have done is picked a morph of a breed i love. In this way i am only working with the animals that i like and if nothing else i get to keep the best offspring. If i make a few bucks thats OK but i am more happy giving one of my geckos that i hatched to someone and seeing the smile on their faces. To me that is the ultimate reward.
the only animals holding their own on the market seem to be the various ball python morphs. only jsut recently have albinos become cheaper where a potential hobbyist would get one as opposed to the money frenzied investor. i dont thin kwe will see cheap balls for at least the next decade. i do remember when albinos were 3000 a pair.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #28
CrazyRhacos
i think R.leachianus will keep their value cuz they take 2-5 years to sexually mature..and their not that comon.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #29
DontShootMe
I think a fire spitting leopard gecko will hold its value because it's hard to produce them

Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #30
groovygeckos
LOL Good point!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!