gecko racks? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
crayolaskies07
gecko racks?

How many reptile racks would I need for a breeding group of 1 male and 3 female leopard geckos? Do I need to house the babies individually or is it okay to group them together in large containers?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
BalloonzForU
I would only put clutchmates together, but they will need to be seperated within a few weeks. 6 qrt tubs for the babies, moved to 15 once they reach 25grams. As far as how many tubs, that's a tuff one. You never know for sure how many clutches you will get out of a single female, all depends on her health, age, etc.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
acpart
Just to let you know, there are other choices for keeping hatchlings besides racks. I keep most of my hatchlings in front opening cages, each 30" long and divided with plexiglass into 3 sections. I keep clutchmates together initially, but as they grow I weigh them and re-shuffle to keep similar weights together. I also keep up to 3 hatchlings in the large faunariums (I think they're about 12"x17"). With this set-up, I have been able to keep up to 22 hatchlings at a time. Obviously this doesn't work for huge colonies. As far as how many clutches to expect, my results this season have been highly variable. I had a breeding colony of 2.3. One female produced only 1 hatchling, one female produced 14 of which 13 survived and my first-timer produced 20/20 fertile eggs, of which 19 babies survived.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
BalloonzForU
Housing hatchlings together in groups makes it almost impossible to keep accurate records for each hatchling.

Another reason to keep hatchlings separate is for health reasons. They thrive better when housed alone. Not all Leos will get along with others, even as hatchlings. As they mature you may find that you are housing males with females and they may breed too young and this is not healthy for either male or female. What are your plans when they become too large to house in those tanks? You always need to have a plan in case you can't find new homes/sell your Leos.

Racks can be easily built with little money, and take up much less room than tanks. And hatchlings can be house separately, which most breeders will agree is the healthiest way to go.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
crayolaskies07
Well, I won't be breeding until next year when my male is old enough, but I want to be prepared. How do you make your own racks? I've looked into that, but couldn't find much on the subject.

When I breed them, I plan on setting up my own website and shipping them to the buyers. Hopefully, I will get some nice SHTCT's. That what all of my breeders are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!