Views on culling - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #11
Glenn Bartley
Bravo, well said. I see your point.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 09-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
elrojo
Thumbs up Great thread, everyone!

I very much enjoyed it, except for the fact that I never got to read the atricle that started the whole controversy. I have frozen a few snakes in my years. Most were dying in slow-motion anyway (mostly poor feeders or persistant regurgers) but now I have a new problem.

I have a male hatchling Okeetee corn. Not an "I'm a normal but have a nice pattern so I'll call this an okeetee", but a real, straight-from-the-hunt club descended animal. He has wonderful colors and pattern, eats great- in fact with great enthusaism NAILING his f/t pinks. The problem is, at almost three months of age now, he is the most aggressive corn I've ever seen. He actually has come out to bite me while routinely changing water bowls. I have photos of him chewing on me as I gently handle him. Every other hatchling I've ever produced scurries away when you pull the drawer open, some bite when you pick them up. But this tiny fella is like a Texas rat in demeanor. He actually broke the skin once! I offered him free to two guys on the cornsnake forums who were buying from me, but one already mentioned wanting to breed him; with an aggressive female he owns, no less. And several others mentioned enjoying aggressive snakes. But the fact is, a corn is what it is because of their nature. My gut says put him in the freezer if he doesn't calm down by winter.

What say you in the forum?

Old 09-09-2003, 11:56 PM   #13
Glenn Bartley
The agressive thing would not bother me in a snake too much, although I am a wimp when it comes to being bitten. I have found that even the most agressive hatchling snakes I have had have calmed down after persistent handling in about 99 percent of the cases. Hatchlings are usually much more prone to strike and or bite as a defensive mechanism than adults seem to be.

If it does not calm down, and since this is a real Oketee, why not give it to someone who would not mind a chewing every now and again. Killing it does seem a total waste. There are other ways to cull that don't involve killing. Giving it to a keeper is one way.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!