Packing peanuts - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
HerpVenue
Packing peanuts

I have used shredded paper.
I have used newspaper.

but what do you guys think of packing peanuts for shipping aniimals?

thanks

Old 08-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
dwedeking
I've used them without a problem. Packing paper is cheaper though. You'd think those peanuts are made of gold the way they charge for them.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
Darin Chappell
Other than the expense and the mess (when those things get charged with static electricity, they go everywhere!), they are fine. I am switching to the shredded paper, however.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I only use packing peanuts in the cooler weather for added insulation properties.
I do not buy them however. When I order something I put the peanuts in a trash bag and save them until I need them.
In warmer weather though I always use crumpled newspaper just to keep the containers from shifting.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #5
WebSlave
If you really want to make the packing material easier to work with, get a strip cut paper shredder. You will wonder how you ever lived without it.

Old 08-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
Isn't it awful hard to stuff the peanuts through one of those?

Old 08-19-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
HerpVenue
I use shredded paper right now.....
Or should I say shredded bills
shredded junk mail
shredded everything.

But today at work I realized they threw away packing peanuts by the big bags full. BIG BIG BIG BIG Bags full. We get shipments everyday full of peanuts. My boss went to one of the receiving guys and said.."Luna wants a truck full of those peanuts....." The guy said. "We can bury his truck in it if he wants"
Anyway I just got a big bag.
Then I went on line and saw that they sell bags smaller than the one I got for up to $20 a bag.
I figured why waste it when I can use it myself and save my shredder from working over time.
Plus other people can reuse my box and the peanuts as well.
I figured I would share the free wealth.

Sorta like the boxes I use for shipping.
I do not write too much stuff.
I specially do not write peoples addresses directly on the box.
that way people can reuse it.

anyway thanks for your input. I will get more peanuts.......they are free anyway.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:22 AM   #8
Glenn Bartley
Late as usual on an interesting topic. As I understand it those peanuts are awfully terrible on the environment as they are made from something like styrofoam. They seem expensive too if you have to buy them. I am not sure of the price, but I know that PLAIN pop corn has been used successfully. It is also environmentaly friendly - but I wonder if it would attract rodents to a herp shipment. Then again, the scent of the herps could attract the rats just as easily. One thing about the popo corn is that when you get sick of storing it you can eat it or feed it to the birds. LOL, but who knows....

Old 08-31-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
HerpVenue
There are new kinds of peanuts.
The kind that is biodegradable. It kinda shrinks into nothingness when it gets wet.

Not too bad really..I know. I tasted a couple of them the other day.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
SPJ
I tried shipping using packing peanuts this week. So far so good. Animals arrived safe and sound. Good idea Ritchie. I had never thought of using these before and I have a garbage bag full of them. At least now I can put them to good use since they work fine when shipping animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!