Drymarchon couperi breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
toooil
Drymarchon couperi breeding

Would anyone who has bred couperi please share your experiences? I have found very little information on their breeding. I wasn't successful with the methods I used this year attempting to breed them. I would like to learn from others' successes. How were they cycled (cooling/no cooling/photoperiod)? When were the adults introduced? Was male male combat used and if so for what duration before introducing the male and female? Was biting between the male and female observed and if so was it allowed to continue? Did you provide any special care for the female while she was gravid?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
WebSlave
What time of year did you try to breed them?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #3
WebSlave
BTW, I presume you have already seen this thread -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=177997

Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
toooil
Yes Rich, I have read that thread. I really appreciated your insight on providing the female a basking site while she is gravid. That is the kind of information that I want to learn. I have not read that tip anywhere else.

I started cooling my adults late in December and January. Night time temp was 60F and day time was 65F. I began combating the males and introducing the female to the male in December. On the second attempt (even with close supervision) the male landed the quickest nip on her neck which left a small gash on the side of her throat. I immediately separated them and provided care for her wound. I decided to let her heal and didn't try again for about 6 weeks. Then I tried introducing them couple more times but was now very paranoid that she would get bitten again so I would pull her away any time he pushed his head and looked like he was going to bite her.

I saw a post on a drymarchon group by an experienced breeder (Alan Brutosky) where he referenced that he does not cool his drymarchon before breeding and is successful in having them breed and produces offspring. Given the possibility that lowering temps is not part of the recipe, I decided to try again (even though it is past the breeding season). It was not successful and I just had to pull the female away to keep her from being bitten.

I then wondered if biting is a normal part of the courtship and I am just being too protective of the female. Perhaps it is a necessary part like it is with some other species of reptiles. If so, females obviously do not receive any intervention in the wild.

I know I am missing something. Possibly photoperiod, not cooling enough, not skipping cooling, humidity, not enough male combat, barometric pressure...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to have a new game plan before next year's breeding season.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, couperi, drymarchon, indigo