Massachusetts state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #21
Socratic Monologue
I recently got a clarification on whether all subspecies of Terrapene carolina are protected in Massachusetts. They are.

When I asked Mass Wildlife "I would like to know if all subspecies of Terrapene carolina are protected in Massachusetts or only the native subspecies T.c. carolina. Specifically, I would like to know if keeping and breeding Terrapene carolina major is legally permitted in Massachusetts."

The reply I received was:

"Hi John: I understand your question. Thank you for seeking clarification.

The exemption list at 321 CMR 9.01 (https://www.mass.gov/regulations/321...exemption-list) states that species listed as E, T, or SC under the MA ESA at 321 CMR 10.90 are categorically non-exempt, which means they require a permit from DFW to possess or import, etc. As you note, the box turtle is listed under the species epithet Terrapene carolina, not T. c. carolina. Lineages and taxa recognized as subspecies of T. carolina should be inferred to be non-exempt. That is, they would require a permit from MassWildlife for importation, breeding, sale, etc. That is my concise view and interpretation of the current regulations. I’d be happy to discuss further."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!