Legality of Eastern or Texas indigo snake in Ky. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Renesis
Legality of Eastern or Texas indigo snake in Ky.

Hey guys, I'm rather new here but not necessarily new to herp keeping and have been giving it serious thought to get back into keeping a few snakes.

I have always wanted to get an Eastern or Texas indigo and finally have the means to do so. I haven't kept any reptiles for the last 3-4 years due to certain reasons however I have been seriously considering getting back into it and one of the snakes that I would love to try to acquire is an Eastern or Texas Indigo.

I am aware of the interstate permit needed to purchase a Couperi from out of state, however I have also read on this site that they are not elligible to be kept in Ky due to their protected/threatened status. I have also however read on Indigosforever.com that there is no limitations for them in the state of Ky. So I was hoping that possibly someone could help on clarifying their legality.

Also if Couperi is not elligible would the same go for Erebennus? I am aware that they are protected in TX but not aware of their overall protection barring them from being kept in other states.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Rjhjthomps
Hello Renesis,

As far as couperi are concerned for your state all that would be required is the interstate commerce permit. For the erebennus no special permit is required unless you live in Texas. I hope you decide to go ahead and obtain some drymarchon, they are remarkable creatures.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Renesis
Joe that is GREAT news, with that I will probably be moving forward in looking for a black phase male Couperi. I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to get one because of their protected status but wasn't sure how well that would play into it.

I greatly appreciate the reply.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Joshus Brito
Wink Tx.Indigo snake for sale

I have a tx. Indigo snake. Its still a baby and wonderful pet. I must admite, i do have him spoiled a good bit. He's tame and wonderfule. Its nice to see how they eat, cause they dont strangle there pray, they over power it. I been tring to get other cheap snakes to feed it. I would love to see him eat a rattlesnake.
The only reason ill part with it, is cause i work to much. And fell that he needs more attention, even though i got him preety spoiled. And no the portective thing really aint a issue. That i seen?
Take care.
And have the snake u wanted?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshus Brito View Post
I have a tx. Indigo snake. Its still a baby and wonderful pet. I must admite, i do have him spoiled a good bit. He's tame and wonderfule. Its nice to see how they eat, cause they dont strangle there pray, they over power it. I been tring to get other cheap snakes to feed it. I would love to see him eat a rattlesnake.
The only reason ill part with it, is cause i work to much. And fell that he needs more attention, even though i got him preety spoiled. And no the portective thing really aint a issue. That i seen?
Take care.
And have the snake u wanted?
Texas Indigos are protected in Texas and NOT allowed to be sold, traded, or bartered.

Possession is not even legal without legal documentation of an out of state purchase unless permitted.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
IMAJACOBIAN
I assume that means you could legally purchase one if the breeding stock was collected before the law was put in place and then everything documented?

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
I assume that means you could legally purchase one if the breeding stock was collected before the law was put in place and then everything documented?

Thanks,

Jacob
You can but not from the state of Texas.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Metachrosis
Ya'll best listen to Mr Cole,what he speaks will keep you out of prison.
Texas (TPW) doesnt play when it comes to jacking with our native Indigo's.
You would actually fair better ,big game hunting in your local zoo

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Jennybeee
I just found this board...hoping I can be pointed in the right direction? We just purchased 22 acres in South Texas. We have seen several huge Rattle Snakes around our cabin. I have young children and I am frightened of the thought of them being bit! We have researched Rattle Snake predators and I would love to have some Indigo Snakes put out on our land to help control the population of the Rattle Snakes. Is there anyway of buying them if they are going to be put on land to roam freely?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
drymarchon, eastern indigo snake, indigo, kentucky, texas