Crotalus Adamanteus - Why so few in the hobby? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #1
E.Shell
Crotalus Adamanteus - Why so few in the hobby?

I've watched the forums here for a few years now and enjoy looking at the ads and photos. I especially like the venomous section. I have noticed that very few eastern diamondbacks are traded, especially considering how broad their distribution and as common as they are in many areas. Many other crotalids appear regularly in the ads, but it seems that seldom does an EDB come up for sale..

Can anyone tell me why this seems to be?

TIA, Ed

Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
E.Shell
Do they not thrive in captivity?
Too bulky/difficult to handle when full grown?
Bad combination of "smart" and "venom"?
Shortage of wild caught stock?
Mistaken about being uncommon?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Donald C
I see a decent amount at the larger venomous shows I go to. I also have a few friends that breed them as well.

The one I currently keep has been thriving quite well in my care. It's growing like a weed, with a very healthy feed response and works like a dream.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
WmTaylor
my suspicion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I've watched the forums here for a few years now and enjoy looking at the ads and photos. I especially like the venomous section. I have noticed that very few eastern diamondbacks are traded, especially considering how broad their distribution and as common as they are in many areas. Many other crotalids appear regularly in the ads, but it seems that seldom does an EDB come up for sale..

Can anyone tell me why this seems to be?

TIA, Ed
Size is part of the problem. One it excludes some keepers. I had one handler I was mentoring that could not lift an adult EDB on a hook, but that is not the size problem is space. An Adult EDB does not take up that much room, but a breeding colony does. I have breed EDBs a few times, and I have species that I keep 10 or 20 of easy, but I rarely have ever had more that 3 or 4 adult EDBs at one time. Which might seam odd as, EDB are among my favorite species of venomous snakes. I had my best breeding luck when I had two males vs. one. So at 3 or 4 adults, you only have one or two females. that would mean, I only had one or two littler even possible a year......at most. Male EDB can(yes exceptions exist) also be slow ti mature and breed. So, no they are not 'hard' to breed but they are more of a commitment/investment than many species. ...anyway, that is my suspicions.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!