Is there a way to block posts from a single user? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:11 AM   #1
azareeSB
Is there a way to block posts from a single user?

There is one member of the site that I would call almost parasitic with their level of posting frequency. I find it to actually be poor etiquette to the point that I would never do business with them and I feel they make the site almost unusable.

Any help you can offer in blocking them or not seeing their posts I would be very thankful for.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
man5000000
Following this topic.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Hello,

Yes, under your control panel, settings and options, click 'edit ignore list' and add the member's name that you do not want to see posts from. I hope this helps!
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Not to be critical of the helpful suggestion, but that doesn't seem to remove the user from the 'new posts' list (though I don't see their post if I click on the thread).

I tried this and still see way more, uh, turtles and tortoises than I can sift through.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:09 AM   #5
azareeSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Not to be critical of the helpful suggestion, but that doesn't seem to remove the user from the 'new posts' list (though I don't see their post if I click on the thread).

I tried this and still see way more, uh, turtles and tortoises than I can sift through.
Agreed, this one user is truly somebody I would call a parasite with their lack of consideration for the community. I can post something and 20 minutes later it's on page 2 because they have spammed the entire sub-forum.

It's gotten to the point where I just don't use Fauna anymore because it's basically just their listings.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:09 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by azareeSB View Post
Agreed, this one user is truly somebody I would call a parasite with their lack of consideration for the community. I can post something and 20 minutes later it's on page 2 because they have spammed the entire sub-forum.

It's gotten to the point where I just don't use Fauna anymore because it's basically just their listings.
"Spamming"? Sorry, but would you mind defining that word for me? It means something different to me, I think, so I am curious about how you come to use that term in this context.

Sorry, but I don't really see the need to create some rule about HOW a member posts classified ads on this site simply because someone else just doesn't like it. If I did that, then eventually there would be NO ads posted here, because everyone will have something they don't like about what someone else is doing to compete against them for eyeballs on their ad(s).

IMHO, some people are going to be a lot more aggressive and ambitious than others in the way they want to advertise what they are selling. Others, obviously, won't have that much ambition, I suppose. And you are basically claiming that you don't like this site because I allow people to be as ambitious as they like in their business model?

BTW, are you referring to the Turtle/Tortoise Classifieds section? Heck I see five (5) different advertisers on the first page there right now. Personally, I don't see any problem with that. It is actually GOOD to have a very active and dynamic classifieds section, I would think.

Anyway, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that I slap down members who are providing LOTS of classified ads here, which is actually the lifeblood of the site, because it generates TRAFFIC, just because someone who wants to post a single ad is complaining about their ad not getting top billing? That I slap down members who are PAYING to utilize the bumping and highlighting features of the classifieds section in favor of others who are not?

Maybe my priorities are really screwed up, but quite honestly, I do think I have this all in the proper perspective. Sorry if you disagree and you feel your interests will be better served going somewhere else where maybe less traffic and a lower number of active advertisers is more to your advantage.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Though it is usually hard to find something to add to Rich's "perspective" posts (love it ), I will add that if the main thing that a poster's advertised item has going for it is that it is on page one, it may not be worth selling.

People do use the search feature, and do seek out the animal they're looking for. Any buyer who only looks at the first page of ads isn't a serious buyer, and sure isn't a serious herp keeper, and isn't necessarily the sort of buyer I'd prefer to get involved with -- one who is buying something that simply catches their eye.

I scan most of the ads here daily, but not to buy -- rather, to see what people are selling, or looking for, and for how much; to see who's a scammer and who seems like a valuable member of the larger herp community. The scads of bumped ads are a speedbump to that project, for sure. But when I go looking for an animal I actually intend to buy, I either use the search feature and PM the last handful of posters of ads of that species to see what they have available, or I simply watch the relevant section of the classifieds. When I need a used truck I don't look at all the Craigslist ads -- I look at the truck ads, and usually only the ones that list exactly what make, model and features I'm looking for, and only the ones that are within a reasonable driving distance of me. The fact that someone has eleventy thousand motorcycle ads posted doesn't matter.

While I think non-contributing members of Fauna are very valuable (many of my sales, and purchases, and many really nice interactions here are with non-contributing members) and it is clear that being a contributing member does not remotely give anyone a pass for their other detriments to the hobby, to wildlife, or to humanity in general, I'd feel funny accusing a contributor of parasitism for the sorts of reasons Rich mentioned.

There seem to me to be two realistic alternatives for herp classifieds currently, and not only is Fauna the easiest to support financially, but it is the more "community" oriented one in terms of these sorts of personal interactions (with the site owner, no less), and a stance against scammers of all sorts that persists even post-BOI, and a history in the hobby that goes back much farther than the other site.

Sometimes one bad apple does spoil the barrel, but sometimes it is worth picking out the bad one and keeping the rest. One little mushy apple isn't so bad.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
WebSlave
Actually I was expecting a sharp rebuke from the thread originator about how I am a damn MGA for having the audacity to give perks to paying members that give them a functional edge over non paying members.

But I guess the day is young....

Old 01-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
Herpin Man
Rich, I agree 100% This is primarily a classifieds site, so I expect to see a lot of classifieds. It stands to reason that more active sellers will place more ads, with greater frequency. That hardly makes them "a parasite with their lack of consideration for the community". On the contrary, people of "the community", if they are on this site, are looking for animals to buy, or at least looking at ads to keep up with the state of the hobby, as Socratic Monologue mentioned.
There are herp categories (and a few specific dealers) that don't really interest me much. Here's what I've found to be a simple way of dealing with them- I skip past their ads.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #10
azareeSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
"Spamming"? Sorry, but would you mind defining that word for me? It means something different to me, I think, so I am curious about how you come to use that term in this context.

Sorry, but I don't really see the need to create some rule about HOW a member posts classified ads on this site simply because someone else just doesn't like it. If I did that, then eventually there would be NO ads posted here, because everyone will have something they don't like about what someone else is doing to compete against them for eyeballs on their ad(s).

IMHO, some people are going to be a lot more aggressive and ambitious than others in the way they want to advertise what they are selling. Others, obviously, won't have that much ambition, I suppose. And you are basically claiming that you don't like this site because I allow people to be as ambitious as they like in their business model?

BTW, are you referring to the Turtle/Tortoise Classifieds section? Heck I see five (5) different advertisers on the first page there right now. Personally, I don't see any problem with that. It is actually GOOD to have a very active and dynamic classifieds section, I would think.

Anyway, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting that I slap down members who are providing LOTS of classified ads here, which is actually the lifeblood of the site, because it generates TRAFFIC, just because someone who wants to post a single ad is complaining about their ad not getting top billing? That I slap down members who are PAYING to utilize the bumping and highlighting features of the classifieds section in favor of others who are not?

Maybe my priorities are really screwed up, but quite honestly, I do think I have this all in the proper perspective. Sorry if you disagree and you feel your interests will be better served going somewhere else where maybe less traffic and a lower number of active advertisers is more to your advantage.

I asked:

"Any help you can offer in blocking them or not seeing their posts I would be very thankful for."

"Not possible" would have been a fair and reasonable response. I have no idea how these old 80s sites/forums work so maybe it isn't even within your control. It's one click on MM so problem solved and I can go back to using this site as intended, reading all the great old forum posts from when people were excited about Caramel corns and stuff ( :

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!