Daytona Show - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
scalesnstuff
Daytona Show

You know, I have been keeping this inside me now for a couple of months. We went Daytona for the reptile expo and took a friend that has diabetes and has had his left leg amputated and 4 of his toes on his right foot as well. We were told that he could not bring his scooter in because of space. When we get their we made it about an hour before we had to take the first break so he could regain strength and relieve some of the pain he had at the points of the amputation. I go to check something for him and what do I see, Wayne Hill on his stupid Segway.

I thought about it for a minute, why couldn't my friend bring his scooter but he could have his Segway. He has both of his legs, apparently he can walk fine. What reason is there to not allow a disabled person to bring something that would make their time more enjoyable but he can scoot on his Segway. Needless to say they still spent their normal $2,000 on animals but he was miserable the whole time.

What really got me mad is I open my new Reptiles magazine and there is a pic of Wayne on the Segway all smiles. BS. If you set rules then you should follow them yourself, I don't care who you are or what you do, it does not make you better than other people. Next show leave that damn Segway home or let the physically challenged bring their stuff.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Ed Clark
I agree, why in the hell would you treat a handicapped person this way.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
varnyard
Bert, I am not taking up for Wayne, but there is a chance he did not know about this. I know the program said no strollers, but I never seen anything about wheel chairs.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Bertram,

Who was it that told you and your friend that he could not utilize his scooter?
Were they made aware that he had a disability and required the scooter for mobility? If they were aware, did they offer the use of a wheelchair instead of the scooter?

I don't attest to knowing the facts here, but I believe it is a federal law that you must allow wheelchair access to any public building. I would think that Wayne Hill, his staff, and/or the Ocean Center, would be aware of that.

My guess is that this was either an oversight by an "uninformed" employee or simply a miscommunication between the parties.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
scalesnstuff
I am not sure who told us that info. His wife had called before the show to make sure he could bring it. I always thought that any public show had to make arrangements for things like this. My store is 600 sq ft and I have to make sure that it is handicapped acceptable I would think that this would be the same thing.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
scalesnstuff
I wish that I had of been there when they told them, our group took up two minivans and 3 cars to get us all there so it was a little hectic trying to regather everyone.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Mike Greathouse
It's unfortunate that your friend had to be put through this, but knowing Wayne Hill as I do, I'm sure that he would have accommodated your friend had he been made aware of the situation.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
LadyOhh
That is not fair... Especially for a convention center that I'm assuming it was in???

Accomidations should have been made, if not been readily available.

Since I don't know the location, it may just be my ignorance, but usually these things are done in a very large locale with over abundant walkways...

Interesting...

Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
reptiler ron
Look people there are laws now that every bussiness have to be whell chair access no matter what you told he has rights.I am also have diabetes and an amutated right leg but wear a fake leg.People will be more than willing to give you room to move around and be willing to help you out in any way,shame on Datoina Reptilers breeders show and Wayne for this hole mess.Mabey Wayne will commet on this buy I don't think he really cares as he has his money in hand and was taken care of at his show.Ron

Old 10-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
scalesnstuff
Mainly I just wanted to vent, and point out an injustice (in my opinion). Thats all, hopefully next year we can get his scooter in for him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!