New 100 Flower Ratsnake, Fresh Import, should I force feed/deworm? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Goanna
New 100 Flower Ratsnake, Fresh Import, should I force feed/deworm?

I picked up two hundred flower rat snakes (AKA Moellendorff's Rat Snakes) form White Plains last weekend from Outback Reptiles.

I knew they were fresh imports but I took a chance as they are a favorite species of mine.

They were decent weight for fresh imports and pretty active. I figured I may have a chance with them.

Well, the smaller one died later that same day. By the time I got home and setup a cage for them, I went back to the container outback gave me and found the smaller one dead

The other one is a bit beefier and hes still doing okay, but so far he has not eaten for me. He strikes at the mouse but will not hold on to it and take it down.

I am not sure what my next step should be here. Should I give him another week to adjust to the new environment, or should I just try and force feed him now and get something into him? Also, should I consider any deworming treatments for him, and if so, what medication would be best? Ivermectin injections or oral Flagyl/Metronidazole?

Any help/info on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

PS: For anyone not familiar with the species, here is a quick overview.
http://www.ratsnakes.com/Emoellendorffi.html

Old 07-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
morph evolution
hey billy,i would qaurantin all you have aquired of imports.give them some time to adjust to new surrounding..dont handle your other snakes without washing your hands first.in my experience's in feeding imports is feeding them in the dark.yes treating them for parasites is always a must.but some other input from otherds would be helpful to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!