power failure - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
atavuss
power failure

what plans do you all have in place for power failure, how would you heat/cool your collection in an emergency? the only thing I can think of for emergency heating is the hand warmer thingies. cooling, I have no idea.......ice in a plastic container to put in the animal's enclosure?

Old 07-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Bill_Leverton
Ed, what I had in the past was a Car battery that was connected to a convertor that changed 12 to 120 volts you can pick this up at any auto parts store for like $ 40 it comes with 3 outlets, so depending on how many plugs you have would determine how many you need... on a side, note always leave 1 outlet open for a Battery charger.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Bill & Amy
Anymore you can pickup cheap generators for around $125.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
number1steakfan
i use a old generator just curious how long will the car battery last running many lights with an alternator i know im running 2 12volts on my car and in on 1/4 run ive only got about 4 volts left of charge

Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1steakfan
i use a old generator just curious how long will the car battery last running many lights with an alternator i know im running 2 12volts on my car and in on 1/4 run ive only got about 4 volts left of charger
HUH !!!! I've ran it for 3 days last time I used hence the battery charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
Anymore you can pickup cheap generators for around $125.
That works too, but with gas prices its not economical.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Bill & Amy
Last time I checked generators get alot better fuel efficiency than a car. The one we used with my grandfather ran around 4 days on 5 gallons of fuel. I consider it cheap compared to the number and cost of animals I could lose. I doubt a car battery would run my 50+ cages and incubator for any significant amount of time.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Bill_Leverton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
Last time I checked generators get alot better fuel efficiency than a car. The one we used with my grandfather ran around 4 days on 5 gallons of fuel. I consider it cheap compared to the number and cost of animals I could lose. I doubt a car battery would run my 50+ cages and incubator for any significant amount of time.
Ok maybe I explained this wrong.....The car battery isn't in the car... ya I guess I can see you point with running that much juice. maybe 2 batteries.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Bill & Amy
I didn't think it was in the car, just comparing the efficiency of generators to cars.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:00 AM   #9
snakebiteAZ1
I use a

a 5000 watt generator to run my 60 foot building.. So far have not had to use it!!! Keep my fingers crossed and pray alot!!!! Mike

Old 07-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #10
Skylinux
I live in Florida, two years ago I spent over 2 weeks without power. Needles to say I bought a generator which is quite expensive to operate but worth every penny when NOTHING WORKS.

---
Skylinux
Network-Technologies.org - Breeding Gerbils Project

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!