Warning: Dogs dying, no recall from PURINA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Focal
Warning: Dogs dying, no recall from PURINA

Everyone beware! As most know, I lost almost my entire rat colony last summer from a Purina / Land O' Lakes / MAZURI RECALL in 2012.

To further express why you should be aware of this food, my dog recently passed away due to unknown reasons that I wrote off as old age. Now I am really starting to wonder because this was the SAME EXACT dog food that she was eating and she exhibited the same symptoms:

http://www.examiner.com/article/puri...-issued-by-fda

Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
JColt
Thanks. Going to post this on facebook.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Thanks. Going to post this on facebook.
Thanks Joe. This is the second time my pets have been subjected to possibly compromised food (one time confirmed) and I only found out through fellow enthusiasts and social networking.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Shadera
Thanks for the info, Nick. I use Mazuri, so this is distressing.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
skirtinthedirt
In my professional opinion:

Dog's get sick and die for a lot of mysterious reasons, and unless you have A LOT of money, you often never find out the cause. It's far more likely that these dogs were sickened for various reasons, and coincidentally they all eat Beneful. You could make the same argument with humans that broccoli kills people because a bunch of people got sick and died and also eat broccoli.

There's nothing out there that would cause such severe disease in only a few dogs of different breeds. Kidney and liver failure, neurological disorders, infections, collapse, severe vomiting and diarrhea, and death are serious enough so that many many more of the millions of dogs that eat this food would be ill. And a food causing skin tags to appear is just silly.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtinthedirt View Post

Dog's get sick and die for a lot of mysterious reasons, and unless you have A LOT of money, you often never find out the cause. It's far more likely that these dogs were sickened for various reasons, and coincidentally they all eat Beneful. You could make the same argument with humans that broccoli kills people because a bunch of people got sick and died and also eat broccoli.

There's nothing out there that would cause such severe disease in only a few dogs of different breeds. Kidney and liver failure, neurological disorders, infections, collapse, severe vomiting and diarrhea, and death are serious enough so that many many more of the millions of dogs that eat this food would be ill. And a food causing skin tags to appear is just silly.

Yes, but Purina will only batch test after so many complaints, which happened with Mazuri this summer, and they were at fault and only after realizing this, they called a recall ... And I'm not even sure if they were forced to do that by the FDA.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
Yes, but Purina will only batch test after so many complaints, which happened with Mazuri this summer, and they were at fault and only after realizing this, they called a recall ... And I'm not even sure if they were forced to do that by the FDA.
Also, this was told to me by the Purina/Land O' Lakes Lawyer during my settlement last year. If this is in fact an issue, I imagine it will follow the same routine.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Focal
Lots of hype about this in the last couple months:

http://www.google.com/search?q=purin...+killing+dogs+

Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirtinthedirt View Post
Sorry I couldn't let this go. Maybe most people haven't figured it out yet. Good ol' faithful Purina isn't letting their customers know ... just like they didn't the last time they admitted guilt in the end. My dog died two months ago and I am just now thinking this may have been the cause. The food recall that killed my animals last year was made in March or May and it wasn't until July/August that I found out about a recall that was already in place. People need time to find out. Purina did not even let my distributor know ... I had to.

This isn't even at the recall phase yet, so writing this off when you aren't even sure what's in this food that's causing these issues ... comes off as rude to me. The elevated levels of Vitamin A in the Mazuri was causing all of my offspring to die after birth. How could I have ever figured this out coming from the babies? They never touched the food. Well, the nursing mothers were refusing to eat the food and eating their young instead, which was causing more females to die then males because the Vitamin A was in the milk. So now we have a sex and age based symptons ... how's that really that far off from affecting some dogs and not others. Seems plausible in my unprofessional opinion Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to hear how you came to that conclusion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!