Ben Siegel Incident - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #71
brd7666
It's a shame that the guy died for sure. I find it amazing at how some people will degrade and humiliate themselves for something that really isn't that expensive. His buddy said he was going to sell him the python for 150 bucks. I'm sorry to see someone so desperate for 150 bucks, that he ate crap like that. Some people say it was funny to watch, and maybe it was. As for the surviving contestants who lost the contest, well, they lost more then just a contest.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #72
radera5
I find it amazing at how many people will degrade a man who just died. I also find it amazing at how many people seem to think this is anything new. Eating contests have been going on for god only knows how long and the things being eaten vary as much as the people doing the eating.
Some may think a person is degrading and humiliating themselves while others may not.
Who care?
Eddie seems as though he was a good guy and he is now gone yet people still sit around and down him or what he was doing...Classy.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #73
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by radera5 View Post
I find it amazing at how many people will degrade a man who just died.
I didn't degrade anyone. The contestants did that to themselves all on their own.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #74
Teatime
I don't think it's degrading or humiliating to participate in a bug eating contest. People do eating contests all the time, and they can get quite disgusting even with "normal" food items. I think it's clear that most people are repelled by the thought of eating roaches, so you've got a better chance of winning if you aren't bothered by them. Some people literally don't care and they'd do it just for fun or shock value. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #75
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
I'm sorry to see someone so desperate for 150 bucks, that he ate crap like that.
Yeah, nothing degrading about that comment. Not disparaging, in the least.
Looks fairly crass, to me.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #76
brd7666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
People do eating contests all the time, and they can get quite disgusting even with "normal" food items.
Sure, people do eating contest all the time. Here is a quote from a hot dog eating contest.
Quote:
The men and women will compete separately for the title of Men's Hot Dog Eating World Champion and Women's Hot Dog Eating World Champion, as well as a $20,000 cash purse for each division.
Notice a difference in the prize amount? It's not what amounts to a measly 150 bucks. And hot dogs are what's considered in this country to be a normal food item.
Here is a link to the article.
http://nathansfamous.com/PageFetch/getpage.php?pgid=38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teatime View Post
Some people literally don't care and they'd do it just for fun or shock value.
Shock value, sure, I'm shocked that people who live in The United States of America, which is supposed to be the most civilized country in the world, would eat roaches for a pathetic prize.

People can criticize my comments all they want, I could care less. As I said above, It's a shame someone died. It's also a shame that human beings degraded themselves for something so pathetic.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #77
Lucille
Quote:
normal
Many reptile keepers are considered a bit abnormal by the mainstream puppy and kitty keepers.
People have every right to think what they wish, but perhaps we should all be a little more accepting of differences of opinion.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/0...ing_cockr.html

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #78
Durante
Quote:
I find it amazing at how some people will degrade and humiliate themselves for something that really isn't that expensive. His buddy said he was going to sell him the python for 150 bucks. I'm sorry to see someone so desperate for 150 bucks, that he ate crap like that.
Quote:
Notice a difference in the prize amount? It's not what amounts to a measly 150 bucks. And hot dogs are what's considered in this country to be a normal food item.
Your post keep reading that this man who passed in this tragic event did it for a "measly 150 bucks". I think it's very possible he didn't enter the contest for a payday. It's a possibility he participated for local fame, fun, shock value, or just as favor for his friend because he may have had a better chance of winning due to a stronger stomach, prior experience, etc.

I personally have done things & helped friends with jobs that I was better equipped for then them & in no way did it necessary benefit me. I never thought of it as a "degrading" action & usually just considered it being an actual friend. Sadly in this case it's sounds like the friend of the deceased wasn't as much of a friend which is sad but it doesn't give anyone else justification to judge his character or person. Doing such in my opinion, especially when he no longer is here to defend himself is what I would consider "pathetic".

Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #79
markpulawski
I think it is safe to say it was a horrible accident that happened at what was supposed to be a fun event, it happened and it is terrible for this guys family. No one was forced to do anything and there is no way anyone could have foreseen this being the end result, sometimes life just really sucks.
I would also mention I was working on that side of the state last week and stopped by the store, I was hoping for a few gecko's but found nothing I was interested in but I was struck by how clean this store was. Literally it was about the cleanest pet store I have ever been in, not sure if that is a result of the event from the previous week but none the less, everything was in top shape.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #80
gonzoone
Eating cockroaches is gross? Really? Well hate to tell you but we all do it everyday!
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/text18/food.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!