What Kind of Snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
gzyv15a
What Kind of Snake?

Hi All,

I got this snake from an owner that couldn't care for her anymore. He had someone pick her up at a reptile show but had no clue what kind of snake she is. My guess is a Colombian Pastel normal. As you can see from the pictures, she's a golden bronze, with very light side diamonds in a pinkish wash.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Randall Turner
She is a knock out pastel girl. Congrats on such a good looking addition.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
very pretty boa, looks like a colombian BCi to me (but no way to know for sure without knowing the history/parents). Kudos to you for giving her a home.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Metachrosis
Just a good ole normal Colombian BCI,the pastel label would only be self serving at best.

Animal looks well cared for

Old 10-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Randall Turner
I disagree that the pastel label would only be self serving. There is a plethora of animals that are not pastels with the label floating about, but with this particular animals extremely clean side diamonds and over all wash it fits quite accurately.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
gzyv15a
I agree with Randall. She's a lot lighter, more colorful and much cleaner than some of the pastels I see being sold at the Hamburg and White Plains Reptile shows. I'm no expert, but she's got all the characteristics of a pastel.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Metachrosis
Pastel is and has always been a marketing label,regular imports of WC and farmed Colombian BCI destroy what is labeled pastel.
You can argue and defend the morph groupies all you want,the Old School has called BS since day one.
I'll agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
I disagree that the pastel label would only be self serving. There is a plethora of animals that are not pastels with the label floating about, but with this particular animals extremely clean side diamonds and over all wash it fits quite accurately.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Metachrosis
Yup! just a snake . . . . .

Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
pgcc0912
Thumbs up

Oh man sweet pastel. thanks for sharing.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
JCCS
Yep, just a normal hypo, huh?

Just a normal Colombian?

Sorry guys, but pastel is a very viable term for a certain look of a boa. It describe this look very well. I agree that the term is not used correctly 95% of the time, that doesn't mean that there is no such thing as a pastel. Those snakes above do not have special morphs bred into them, but have had a lot of hard work and thought put into their making. As for the person who started this post, I apologize for posting my pics on your post, but they were relevant for where this discussion has gone. I would consider the animal at the beginning of this thread to be a lower grade pastel, maybe just a nice normal. I usually like to see pastels have a bit lighter coloration than that.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!