New BCCs: help me identify the locality :) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
doctorkeyser
New BCCs: help me identify the locality :)

I'm acquiring two nice BCC and neither the shipper nor I have any proof of what locality these animals represent. I think they look great, and my best guess is that they are Peruvians. What do you guys think? Thanks for looking!

Old 07-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
doctorkeyser
Female:
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
doctorkeyser
Male:
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
What I would like to suggest... is that you look up Greg Maxwell's site, read the piece he has written about Chondro locality debates.

It applies to Boa constrictors too... if you don't have import papers or reliable collection data, it is not a locale specific animal. It might have certain locale traits... be labeled a "locale type" but unless you can prove with a paper train that the animal or all of it's anscestors were from a given area, then it is NOT a locale specific animal and it is inappropriate and misleading to sell it as one.

These days even scale counts for determining subspecies aren't reliable because of long term captive mutt creation that results in offspring with scale counts from either parent or some entirely different third possibility. Trying to label an animal as locale specific based solely on pattern or color characteristics? Never going to happen if you're honest about the situation.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
doctorkeyser
Seamus, I appreciate the reply and the points made therein. However, please do not mistake the situation for the shipper or myself trying to represent these animals as something they are not documented to be. He was up front with me, and I'm passing on this information to the forum.

I have been keeping and breeding Boa c. imperator for many years now, and this is my first foray into keeping Boa c. constrictor. With the wealth of information out there on BCC from different localities, I am already prepared to encounter many things from differences in size attained, behavior, and breeding patterns. I'm simply asking people to take a "best guess" since these animals are, indeed, not documented to be from anywhere specific.

They look, now that I have received them, very much like certain Peruvian BCC I have seen photos of in the internet. A much more yellow background than grey, which is a little hard to appreciate from the photos I posted.

I welcome anyone's suggestions as to what locality or localities (as in a cross-breeding) these animals *might* represent. This is curiosity, not connivance. Whatever the case, I'm thrilled to have them in my collection, and I look forward to a first breeding attempt in 2-4 years (these are '02 animals).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!