Leopard gecko care DVD (breeders please read) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2004, 07:17 AM   #1
gurnham4
Lightbulb Leopard gecko care DVD (breeders please read)

Hey everyone, good morning (and happy thanksgiving).

I am still new to these forums but I wanted to tell everyone about a project I will be working on this winter. This winter I plan to shoot/edit together a 20 minute DVD to sell to new leopard gecko owners. Now to most owners this really wouldn't be a necessary thing to have, it's more or less a video that could be sold to new leopard gecko owners.

The video would feature what the geckos are allowed to eat, how to gutload their food (and what to gutload with and why to take crickets out after a few hours in the cage), to ideas on how to set-up their cages (and to give arguments on why you shouldn't use sand, and why some people think it ok, that way the owner can decide... of course I will lean to the no-sand argument) all the way to the subject of what to do if your gecko is sick (vet), how to look up listings for vets that treat geckos (mostly links), and if your pet dies, how to properly clean the tank and sterilize it if you decide to put another animal in the cage

Now what I would really like to do is get with some of the breeders and do a few taped interviews of the breeder (wither your comfortable talking on camera or doing a voice over) with their geckos and they can talk about their geckos and their genetic experiments and maybe even get into small discussions on what kind of new morphs that will be emerging within the next 10 years. It would also give breeders a chance to advertise their geckos and maybe even pull in some business for them.

I think this would be a nice thing for breeders to sell too (to new owners). I was thinking it would take 5-10 bucks to make the DVD/cover/box and then breeders could sell the DVD for 10-15.

I of course would make a rough cut and upload it somewhere so breeders can watch and get their approval before going into production. I would also send the script to breeders to get approval.

I think it would be a great idea, and since we have so many sources between us, I think this DVD could be really great.

Now lemme answer some questions before they pop-up.

1) Why would a person buy a DVD when they can read a book?
A) Well to be honest, most people are lazy, and half the time people don't read the books. Also you run into situations in which younger persons are buying this pet and well... if they aren't going to do their math homework there's a chance they're not going to read the book on their new pet (kids think they know everything UNLESS they are super-involved with the animal). This would be a fast, easy way to get alot of condensed information in a short amount of time. Also the chances of a parent watching it increases, so not only do you have an educated child who knows how to take care of their pet properly, but now you have a knowledgeable parent (and they'll be happy they didn't have to read the book)

2) What will I shoot this on?
Panasonic DVX-100a, it is a high end, digital video camera (mini DV format) that has several very nice features. One is that it looks exactly like a film (the product does) because it shoots at 24 frames per second (just like a real film video camera). It also supports wide screen format. It is a super nice quality camera. The camera can be viewed here .

As for software, AVID Xpress Pro, which has been used many times to edit film movies

For sound there is a boom-mic (not the one featured on the same site as the camera) that I can borrow that gives very nice sound quality. I also have lighting equipment.

3) What do I (you) get out of this?
The pure satisfaction that the person who just got his/her gecko from you will watch the video and know how to properly take care of his/her gecko. Also breeders who help participate will get a free copy of the DVD.

I will be at the Northern Virginia Reptile Expo Dec 11, 2004 If you plan on selling geckos there and you want to participate in making the DVD, we can arrange something during the show (I want to do a little feature on where people can buy their Leos, like shows, ect).

It would be nice of this DVD gets on a bigger market but we will see what happens.

This will be a private project that I am doing.

Alright, let the punches (or praise) roll in

Old 11-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
tim5580
Thumbs up :)

I think it is a good idea. Lots of people are too lazy to read nowadays. Plus, $10-$15+ is the regular cost of most books I see on reptiles.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
gurnham4
what's everyone's thoughts?

Old 11-27-2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Milwaukee Reptiles
It's a great idea, but a hell of a lot of work. I also wonder how many people (who many times refuse to do ANY free research on the internet) will actually pay for the DVD. I would think that if they didn't care enough to do any research apart from the infamous 'pet store guy', they probably don't care enough to spend money on the DVD.

I like the idea a lot, and I think that it would work great for educating, I just don't know how many you'd be able to sell. I think you'd have to lower the price point to about $5 to sell a decent amount of them. If you market it correctly it could take off. Sorry if that sounds harsh... I just know there are a lot of people that don't care enough to spend $3 on a thermometer, so $15 seems high.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:17 AM   #5
xlb57
I like the idea. I've been in the hobby for about 7-8 yrs. and I'd pay a little money to see what sort of video you've thrown together. To be honest, I'd pay about $10.00. Cool idea.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
lilroach56
Sounds Great.

If/when you make it sell it at the NVRE show, i will pick one up.

THe NVRE is tooo early, it is like 15 days before christmas AND on the day of a swim meet. If it was like the 20th i was gonna ask my parents if i could pick up a christmas present there....

Old 11-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
gurnham4
I don't think it would be toooo much trouble to make, it would be more of a hobby thing for me to do. I'm trying to spit out a few pieces before I graduate college in May, and this would be a nice piece to show to a few places that I am applying to. I know alot of good actors who would do the readings for free, and act for free, so that would be a plus. As for making the dvd, i think i paid 22 bucks for 50 printable DVDs, and the printing and burning all can be done on a home set-up. I'd only make them as people ordered them.

but anyways i think this dvd would just be good to market to young owners (since the parent will watch it) and pet at the shows who decide right at the show that leopard geckos are cool, and they want one today.

i think the dvd can be sold in the 5-10 range and still make a OK turn around. it would just be nice to make enough to atleast earn back the investment, but if i don't, it's not a big issue.

but i agree there is alot of free information, but sometimes that info is bad. i was thinking during my dvd i could show people 3 ways to set-up their tank (one cheap, medium expenises and one would be all out). the cheap set-up would use tupplewear or old buttertubs for hides and such, paper towels for substrate, ect. more medium expense tanks would use rocks from the store, tile for substrate (or reptile carpet), ect. and the high end tanks would be larger with just more sutff for a gecko to do.

a way to market the dvd is I could have it approved by such-and-such breeders to kinda show people it has a lot of good info.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #8
gurnham4
lilroach56:

When i do make the dvd (still in pre-production here) i plan on selling it at the NOVA shows and richmond shows. I could sell it online as well (amazon, and i can make a website like leopardgeckodvd.com) for a reasonable price.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
lilroach56
I would definately buy a copy if you had them at the NVRE.

Are their any other shows in the DC metro Area?

Old 11-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #10
gurnham4
next NOVA one is posted on their site

2005 NVRE Show Dates

Feb. 19th May14th Aug. 27th Dec. 10th

also if your folks are willing to drive you all the way to maryland:2004-2005-2006 Maryland reptile expo shows (baltimore), there's a show on the 11th

and richmond has shows too (if your folks are willing to drive you to richmond) RVA shows but they haven't updated this since the october show

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!