Best state for Herp Laws - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
snakeventure
Best state for Herp Laws

In everyone's opinion, which state in the union is the best state to live in for the most relaxed herp laws, and the least possibility of them becoming strict in the future. I plan on moving from Michigan in 1 to 2 years, and am trying to decide which state to move to. In all honesty, this is probably one of the biggest factors as to where we move.

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
snakeventure
Actually, forgot to mention, we hope to move to the Scranton, PA area. According to my research they have no local ordinances relating to exotics or reptiles, and the laws haven't changed since 1979. I'm assuming thats good....

Old 03-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
hhmoore
NY sucks - cross this one off your list

Old 03-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
kmurphy
Maine's not too good now but there is hope for the future. Changes are in the works.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
norsmis
Illinois isnt a good choice either......

Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Mass is alright, you just need permits for things like Chondros and such. ( hots too, and i believe big constrictors)

Old 03-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Pennsylvania seems to have no regulation what so ever.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
snakeventure
Any thoughts on the future of legislation in PA?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
TheVipersHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Pennsylvania seems to have no regulation what so ever.
thats not true Ed

Pa has laws on the books in many areas

heres how pathetic they are

in Allentown , Pa there an actuall LAW on the BOOKS
that states very clearly (and this is no joke)

"YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OWN ANY KINDS OF VENOMOUS TURTLES ..."

and your not allowed to own HOTS anymore ,
or any LARGE Constrictors ..
their laws in Allentown are a joke , these laws are why Allentown doesnt hold any more shows like they did in the past .

Pa does have many regulations in many different areas as far as Scranton im not sure what they hold on the books but i know most of my surrounding areas .. and im 25 mins away from Hamburg ..

Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Ramiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Mass is alright, you just need permits for things like Chondros and such. ( hots too, and i believe big constrictors)
I disagree, Mass sucks. You are only allowed to keep reptiles that are on an approved list and anything that is not included is not allowed. Permits are only granted to universities or other institutions that are doing research, not to private individuals.

Here are some general guidelines from Mass Wildlife on the state laws on keeping reptiles. Notice how many common species kept as pets are not allowed, i.e chameleons, varanids, chrondos, and many more.

# Reptiles:

Turtles:
Lawful (no MassWildlife permit required): All turtles, except rare species and those below.

Unlawful: the Argentine (Chaco) Tortoise, Gopher Tortoises and related species, and the Pancake Tortoise.

Snakes:
Regulations regarding the possession of snakes are quite detailed and should be consulted (321 CMR 9.01) for specifics. Some generalities are listed as follows.

Lawful (no MassWildlife permit required):
All species of boas and pythons, regardless of size, except rare species, and those listed as Unlawful
Shield-tailed Snakes and Sunbeam Snakes;
Worm Snakes (except rare species), Thread Snakes, and related species;
Several so-called "harmless" snakes, including Brown and Redbellied Snakes, Garter and Ribbon Snakes, Glossy Snakes, Green Snakes, House Snakes, Kingsnakes and Milksnakes, Rat Snakes (except rare species), Water Snakes, the Western Hognosed Snake and certain others.

Unlawful: Emerald Tree Boa, Green Tree Python, African Rock Python, Reticulated Python, and all Anacondas; Black Rat Snake; other rare species, any other snake not specified as lawful. Possession of ALL venomous ("poisonous") snakes is prohibited.

Crocodilians:
Lawful: None.

Unlawful (MassWildlife permit required): all crocodilians, including alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials.

Lizards.
Regulations regarding the possession of lizards are quite detailed and should be consulted (321 CMR 9.01) for specifics. Some generalities are listed as follows.

Lawful (no MassWildlife permit required):
All skinks (including the Solomon Islands Prehensile-Tailed Tree Skink) rare species, and skinks listed below as unlawful.
False Club-tailed Lizards, Girdle-tailed Lizards, Plated Lizards, and Rock Lizards;
Most Teiid Lizards;
Some Lacertid Lizards and Lateral-fold Lizards;
All Gekkos except rare species and the Big Bend Gekko;
Several iguanids, including Basilisks, Collared and Leopard Lizards, Common (Green) Iguana, False Iguana, New World Chameleons, Spiny Lizards, and Tree and Bush Lizards;
Some Agamid Lizards, such as the Water Dragon, and most Night Lizards.
Unlawful:
Rare species, Florida Sand Skinks, Solomon Islands Ground Skink, Chameleons, Monitor Lizards, Gila Monster and Beaded Lizard, and any other lizards not specifically listed.