RI question about quarantine. - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
JordanAng420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I hesitate to give any advice on medicine, as I am no vet. I've heard bad things about prolonged usage of Baytril so I would consult the vet for that question. Seems to me that he should be fine after (before, really) 20 doses of the correct dosage of that drug.

Let us know if he takes a meal. Best of luck with him!!
I agree. Baytril scares the heck out of me. It might be worth it to make an appointment with the vet for a recheck. If antibiotics need to be continued, they might switch the type or dose that is being used.

I don't know if i'd try a live mouse every day. Maybe every few days? I usually have more luck feeding in the late afternoon or evening. Also, make sure his enclosure is not in a high-traffic area in your household.

Thanks for the update!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
FireStorm
I agree with Maia...there's no need to offer a mouse twice a day. That is way too often, and is just going to stress him more. I'd offer every 4 or 5 days and keep stress to a minimum.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
RonzRoyalz
Sorry about my wording. I was gonna put the mouse in there for an hour and then at night for an hour and see what happens. If nothing, then wait a week or so. He was timid about eating when I got him and the sellers said he eats great on small live rats. Not so. The snakes have their own room. I just go in to check on them every morning for cleaning and from time to time get one out to stretch some scales at night. I'll be making an appointment tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #34
RonzRoyalz
I think he's fixed!! I put a live mouse in there for about 30 minutes and nothing. I pulled his out and held the mouse over his head and nothing.. I held him over the the mouse and BAMM!! He hit it and brought it up to my hand. It's been since mid April since this guy has eaten. I'm gonna keep him in the smaller 20qt tub vs 41qt as everybody else, so he has less room to move away from the heat. I'll keep his heat at 92* for a few more weeks with low humidity. From what I understand, they eat, their immune system is stronger. This will help kill off the bacteria.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
oskyle1567
Im glad to hear that hes doing well! My little guys are alright.. They are done with baytril and prescribed ceftazidime for the time being so i hope this will clear them up. How long did it take you to start seeing signs of no mucus?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
RonzRoyalz
About 15 days after starting the batryl. I tried high temp with high humidity. No improvement, so I kept 92-93* degrees and went from 80% down to about 40% humidity. Plus it helped changing the 41qt tub to a 20qt or so tub. This way the sickly jerk wouldn't stay on the cool side. He was about 300g when I got him and he's down to about 250g I think. How big are they? What size tubs? Not that I know anything, but the smaller tub had to of helped.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!