Reptaid? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Kingofspades
Reptaid?

So a couple of my snakes are fighting a nasty RI. I lost 3 snakes already to the mistake of taking them to my regular vet...who claimed to know about snakes, but obviously did not. He gave me Septra and have me dosing orally. It did nothing.
I would have had a necropsy done, but stupid me stuck them in the freezer immediately thinking 'kill the bad things inside them!'

So I found a good reptile vet and we are treating the other 4 sick snakes with Tazicef injections. The culture came back with a build up of natural bacteria they have in their system normally (I missed the name, but will get it tomorrow when I got back for more Tazicef). She seems to think the underlying cause is viral, weakening the immune system so the bacteria can "act up" so to speak.
We are continuing Tazicef and going from there, since the virus can't be treated and it is really up to the snake's immune system to win that fight.

My question...
has anyone ever used Reptaid?
So far no one else in my collection appears sick, but I was thinking about injecting their rats with this stuff as an immune booster.
I figured it can't hurt, but if it doesn't actually help I will save the money.
Problem is...only info I can find is testimonials on their site...so...

Does anyone have any experience with it?
Worth it? Not worth it?

And for the record, the sick snakes are quarantined in a different room from the rest of my collection and I am very careful about my interactions as to not spread it further (dose my snakes before my shower, don't go into the bedroom and then the snake room immediately afterwards. Lots of hand washings and spraying my hands and arms with F10. Haha. Things like that.)

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Kingofspades
Ps:

This is the stuff.

http://www.reptaid.com/

Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Helenthereef
There's a thread here with a little bit of info...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hlight=Reptaid

Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Kingofspades
Thank you.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Kingofspades
That thread didn't really help at all....but thank you

Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Mickeyblueyes
Not sure about the herbal stuff, but ask the vet about adding a vitamin supplement with C.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
JordanAng420
A few people over on the gecko forums have used it, and have said they like it. From my understanding it was used for various types of things such as Stomatitis, URI, and intestinal parasites. I've never used it. Wouldn't trust it "treating" or "preventing" anything. Never been big on holistic type medicine. Personally I would just save my money.

If you do decide to try it, definitely discuss it with your vet beforehand to make sure the ingredients are okay with the type of antibiotic your snake is on. Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Kingofspades
I wasn't going to use it with the sick snakes. Only the healthy ones as preventative.
It says right on their site they do not suggest using it with antibiotics.
I will probably just save my money and hope the healthy animals remain so.
Pick up a big jug of hand sanitizer for the snake room.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!