Super Giant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Xavier
Super Giant

Hi,
I recently purchased a fmela Super Giant albino, ones of Moose's daugters. I was going for nothing other than size I wanted a very large female. Tremper provided that to me a 6 month old female 9.75'' in length and 83 grams. The days waiting for he I was in doubt "how could she be so larger and so young", she finally came and boy she was HUGE. Then I doubted she was only 6 months old, she a giant compared to all my other leos produced in 04. I wanted to share some photos with her and other leos all hatched in June so being the same age as her unless other wise noted.
Super Giant next to tang male that hatched out 7 June 04 same age and he is 42 grams

Male blizzard x T albino 7 months of age and 48 grams

A rather large female SHTCTB het albino for her age hatched out 7 June 04 and 64 grams

Normal Hypo tang female 3-4 years old currently 70 grams and 9.25''

Old 12-17-2004, 11:23 PM   #2
robin d.
ok so now that the giant trait is co-dominant and this is the super form of a giant then whatever you breed him to will be giants correct?

Old 12-18-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
MattP
Here's one of mine (next to full grown, second year breeder, Janis), I believe this girl might be a Super Giant. I bought seven Giants from Alberto. This girl has grown the fastest. She's 7 months old and also weighs 83 grams. Some of the ones I got from him aren't that big, one stayed at 60 grams.......... maybe she's a normal? That would be correct if Giant is Co-Dom. 25% normal 50% Giant and 25% Super Giant. I believe Halo is also Super Giant (she's next to Janis as well). She weighs 90 grams, while breeding. Janis weighs 60 grams.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
Xavier
Those leos are amaing

I need some

Old 12-18-2004, 01:46 AM   #5
MattP
Well, I should be getting eggs soon.......... The waiting is the hardest part

Old 12-18-2004, 02:47 AM   #6
Xavier
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP
Well, I should be getting eggs soon.......... The waiting is the hardest part
I think I'll buy some of those babies ah maybe at the end of the wait I can handle what they are worth LOL

Old 12-18-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
wahberee
I want a fat 150 gramer tooo!!!!

Old 12-18-2004, 05:01 AM   #8
robin d.
Quote:
That would be correct if Giant is Co-Dom. 25% normal 50% Giant and 25% Super Giant.
ok let me explain how co-dominance work in a PROVEN co-dominant morph
the rich ihle line of salmons (boas) are co-dominant
when you breed a salmon to a normal, 50% of the babies are salmon and 50% are normals and the normals do not carry the gene, only the salmons
now next step.
breed a salmon to salmon you will get all salmons ,some will be super salmons ,some not but you will not know if one is a super until you raise the animal up and breed it to a normal (you can not physically look at the animal and tell it is a super salmon)... if when bred to a normal all the offspring are salmon then it is the super salmon
super salmon = dominant (all off spring will be salmon)
saalmon = co-dominant (half will be ssalmon half will be normal, the normals will not carry the salmon gene)
only way to know if you have a super giant would to breed it to a normal sized gecko and if ALL the babies turn out giant... voila super giant.... so unless tremper bred these animals prior to sending them to you, as far as you know they are just good ol giant that MIGHT be super

Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Xavier
Hmm true but

With this boa trait wouldn't it not be very possible to have all salmon from a salmon to normal breeding for even several years? The ratio isn't going to be exact every clutch but from number of like 100 then its more accurate. Also RT clearly stated the only difference between a Super and a normal giant is size by one year of age a super male will be over 110 grams and a female over 90. Thats being said then no I don't need to breed her to find out all I have to do is wait one more month and she'll hit 90G. But what you said made me think of a critical questions if thats the only difference than I'd think its very possible to breed Super to normal and not get all giants. Me calling her super is just what I did nothing else I'm not going to be selling her offspring less than 1 year of age as supers just giants.
Thanks
Xavier

Old 12-18-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
MattP
I'm pretty sure Ron Tremper says if you breed

Giant x Giant = 25% Super Giant, 50% Giant, 25% Normal
Giant x Super Giant= 50% Giant, 50% Super Giant,
Giant x normal= 50% Giant, 50% normal

Some people are still saying this isn't proven though. Tremper Giants might just be a selectively bred trait, however I did breed my male (normal) Super Hypo to two Geckos that I believe are Giants and look what happened. All these hatched out within a few days of each other. The one is really small, it's either deformed or the rest are Giants and its normal. Also, these geckos all hatched out in August.......... The largest is 42 grams.

Matt
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!