Humid hide questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Lucille
Humid hide questions

I just set up humid hides for the new geckos: I bought small plastic containers, cut an entry in the plastic lid, and filled them 2/3 full with damp peat moss.

Do I just use a water sprayer to refresh the dampness when needed? How often should I replace the peat? How often do y'all empty your hides out and scrub them?

Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I use a psray bottle to remist mine when needed, and dump out all the stuff ( I use coco fiber) once a week and run the hides through the dishwasher and the coco fiber I boil then let it cool and put it back in the hides.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I use a spray bottle to remist mine when needed, and dump out all the stuff ( I use coco fiber) once a week and run the hides through the dishwasher and the coco fiber I boil then let it cool and put it back in the hides.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
KelliH
I use GladWare containers for my humid hides. I cut a hole out of the lid and fill them 2/3 full of peat moss. I remoisten as needed, I add water and mix it into the peat with a spoon. I change the peat moss as needed, usually once monthly unless you have one that always poops in the nest box
I don't scrub them out unless they get dirty.
How are your geckos doing Lucille?

Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
Lucille
The geckos are doing wonderful!!! I woke up this morning and about half the humid hides had geckos in them, so I guess they like them.
I have spent a lot of time puttering around with them and their rack, bought new plastic bins for one level of the rack that didn't have any so they are now in 24 bins.
I got everyone separated out so there are no males together and everyone is now either one or two to a bin.
And then I got some of those paper towel rolls that tear into smaller pieces than regular paper towels, and tore a whole bunch of them and put them in a basket so it will be easier to change the little guy's bins during the week.
Geckos are so terrific!!

Old 11-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
raiquee
Lucille i am glad your having fun with them!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
PaulSage
I pretty much do humid hides the way that Kelli stated. Originally I had started with containers that were rather tall and had the hole in the side for the little ones. That made it too easy for them to kick the coco fiber out though, so as soon as they were big enough to climb on top of a shorter (but wider) container I changed them and now have holes in the tops (cut with a hole-saw). I use the soldering iron to smooth out the edges of the holes so that there aren't any rough edges. To remoisten the coc fiber I use one of them nifty garden sprayers that you pump to pressurize, and then just spray water in through the hole on the top. I used to use a standard spray bottle, but my wrist didn't last long when there was 60+ hides to humidify.

Lucille, I think you'll like the select-a-size paper towels. They make changing the paper a LOT faster in the shoebox tubs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!