carpet python breeding in visions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
reptile-phan
carpet python breeding in visions

Hi i have a friend who has vision cages and asked me how he should go about breeding carpet pythons and how to get the required temps.

However I have pvc cages with thermostats and radient heat panels and i really hate using heat bulbs. I also dont have as much experience as most of you veterans out there either soooo that being said im putting this up for discussion. any tips please help.

his room (basement w/ cement floor) around 68-70 degrees in the room 3 cages tall. hes using 100watt heat bulbs and the bottom vision has a reptile heat pad.

Thank you for any help.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
hhmoore
It depends on the approach you like/trust, honestly.
Personally, if the stated temperatures are consistent, I would stop feeding in mid-late November & suspend use of the supplemental heat about 4 weeks later. Toward the end of January, put the pairs together, leaving the heat off. At the start of March, turn the heat back on. (I generally leave them together, without heat, for about 6 weeks.) I usually leave the pairs together until I am sure the female is gravid.
You can offer food after the temps are brought back up; but remove the male for feedings (some will eat during this period...realistically, you could feed them at 70 degrees; but I prefer to leave them alone as much as possible during the cooling period - basically only opening the cages to change the water & do essential cleaning/maintenance).

I have used this method with success for years; so I haven't altered it, or even paid much attention to what other people are doing. I know with many species, the temp cycling has been deemed unnecessary...couldn't tell you if people are having luck with carpets using that approach. My thought is that it might depend somewhat on the forms involved.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!