breeding opinions on these 2 boa's for up coming season - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
breeding opinions on these 2 boa's for up coming season

I am seriously thinking about putting these 2 beauties together and would like some breeders opinions. Dont hold back,be real and honest as always.
Male was sold to me as a lipstick coral and the female is a Susquahanna eccotherms coral female sitting at 8'
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
jmwboas
Rich, If Im reading right, your considering putting two visual albinos together? IMO I wouldn't. Kahl animals have issues with eyes. Some say bumping up the temps on any litter containing albino in it will fix this issue. I did that in 2011 with a dh sunglow mom. All babies came out great. No eye issues. On the other hand however. I wont buy an animal that comes from albino to albino(or even sunglow to albino). I won't pair them together either. I prefer to stay away from that, mainly as a preventive measure. Taking the safe route imo, never hurts. Good luck on whatever you do with them.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
After talking to many people on this,it seems its an up in the air discussion.
Lots of breeders do this and have no problems at all. I know 1 person personally that has done coral to coral and came out just fine.
I have not done it but am really thinking about it.I imagine it will only inhance color and pattern.
As a breeder i am obligated to try things to make certain things i read and hear are true.IMO.
Too many people saying many different things and its all confusing.
But if you wouldnt buy an albino to albino breeding,why buy albino's at all with all the bad inbreeding that was done? Not too much a difference.IMO.Worse to inbreed.
I cant say that i will do Jeff,but it comes to mind.I just dont want ill or unhealthy boa's. Thats not fair to them. I get the point but not sure i totally agree with so many opinions out there. Some say bacteria and some say bad breeding. Raising the temps to rid the problem would suggest a bacteria issue over it being the gene.No?
Thanks Jeff for taking the time to talk about this man.
My buddy was telling me to raise temps on all my albino breedings to make sure i dont get 1 eyed monsters. He stated the same thing you said,raise the temps up a degree or 2.
I have a few months to research and hear out others before deciding..

If i decide to do sunglow to albino,i will hold back several animals from that litter to breed and see what happens to them when i breed a sunglow to a het albino from different litters. I dont inbreed at all.Not on purpose.
Thanks Jeff.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
hhmoore
Not necessarily bacterial...I believe the current thought process is more along the lines of a difference in heat absorption/retention by albino females. Lack of dark pigment impacts their thermoregulation, so increasing environmental temps helps compensate for their deficiency in that area.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Morphism
That looks like a pair that would produce some top notch albinos to say the least. I would personally add jungle to the mix because of the market and get a variety of things to sell and hold back for yourself.

With Kahl stuff being on the market for such a long time, there has been sooo much outcrossing that Albino X Albino is done regularly without problem. However, I think that albino is what it is because they are some sort of "Defect" if you will. Don't take that the wrong way because I think that Albinos can thrive greatly and can become beautiful boas that will live for years just like those of any other variation. But genetically speaking, they don't exist in the wild, where survival of the fittest is the highest degree. I believe beautiful BCI's aren't as common because that's not what keeps them alive. Being dark keeps and the weak die off.

I went off on a little tangent but I thought I would throw something out there other than yes and no that could be thought provoking and help people understand the reason behind the motives. I like a little variety in litters for the same of price variation to help a wide variety of people purchasing. I also think that when you breed to 100% het albino animals, you are very likely doing more outcrossing because it hasn't quite got to the homo stage yet.

I am not a Pro breeder and many have done it with success but these are my thoughts.

I hope I was of help. Please comment or question anything as you please.

Wishing you the best on your future pairing Rich!

Ulysses

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
allreptiles1966
Thanks Harold,thats pretty much what i am getting told.Raise my heat just a bit.
Appreciate you taking the time man to answer. Really.

Ulysses,i dont have a proper jungle ready at the moment.Well,that not totally true.I have my jungle het lipstick male who will be just old enough but he is rather small for my 8' 30/35lb coral girl.Maybe i will use him and my lipstick/coral male and see who does the job.I'm betting on the sunglow as he has a few girls under his belt already and i think he is addicted to love.lol. IMO Next year i will have a few jungles to use. As far as making a mix of different boa's,i am a sunglow breeder and i am not looking to do other stuff unless it can be sunglowed. So to speak.

I love the sunglows and my goal is to make the best.It will be a few years until i have every pattern sunglow.Thank you for sending your opinion.
Also,i need another year of looking at jungles to get a better idea of them.

Thanks you guys. I'll tell,there is more to boa breeding to me then the beardies i did for several years.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
allreptiles1966
Hey Harold. What type of temps are we talking.
Last year i ran at 88.5 and this year i am at 89. Do you think 91 would be a bit high?
Say my guy came from a litter with 1 eyed buggers,can he hold a gene that will pass on 1 eyed buggers. So i guess i am asking if its genetics that play a part in all this? Will a 1 eyed boa pass that on to offspring??

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Hey Harold. What type of temps are we talking.
Last year i ran at 88.5 and this year i am at 89. Do you think 91 would be a bit high?
Say my guy came from a litter with 1 eyed buggers,can he hold a gene that will pass on 1 eyed buggers. So i guess i am asking if its genetics that play a part in all this? Will a 1 eyed boa pass that on to offspring??
I have heard of breeders running temps up to 95, but I would probably stick with around 91-92.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Firebill
I ran my sunglow female on 88 degrees and all the babies eyes were fine.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
allreptiles1966
Yes Jeremy,i think 95 is a bit high for me.

Bill,was it a sunglow to sunglow or albino breeding?

I also had a friend use a bad eye ghost het albino to a het and he got some bad eyes,so i am wondering if it is genetic.He ran his heat at 92.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!