Man defending neighbor kills alligator in Loxahatchee - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Man defending neighbor kills alligator in Loxahatchee

I'd like to know the nature of the warning. Was it a legal warning, or just a warning that getting that close to a gator wasn't safe?

A man shot and killed an alligator that was reportedly threatening his neighbor.

Sky Budin, 39, told authorities his neighbor called him Tuesday morning about a 5-foot alligator menacing her three dogs in the yard.

By the time Budin arrived, Kimberly Jackson was fending off the reptile with a pitchfork.

"I don't know that there was time to think," Budin said. "Most of all, I didn't want anything to happen to Kim."

Budin shot the gator twice in the head, said Dani Moschella, spokeswoman for Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Its body was turned over to a trapper and Budin was given a warning.

"I'm sure this was a hectic situation," Moschella said. "But this is not something we recommend."

An alligator can become more aggressive and attack if it's not killed immediately, Moschella added.

Bodin said he loves animals and didn't want to kill the alligator.

"But it was him or us," he said.

Link

Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
RosterImposter
Quote:
An alligator can become more aggressive and attack if it's not killed immediately
Id like to know where they got that idea from, from what Ive read, alligators usually try and get away before fighting, unless its for food.

I dont see why killing the endangered american alligator was a resonable response. The women wasnt in danger, her dogs were, and a 5 foot alligator isnt as big as they make it sound. I believe they could have saved both the alligator and the dogs if maybe they would have thought about it before they ran and got their guns.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosterImposter
Id like to know where they got that idea from, from what Ive read, alligators usually try and get away before fighting, unless its for food.
I dont see why killing the endangered american alligator was a resonable response. The women wasnt in danger, her dogs were, and a 5 foot alligator isnt as big as they make it sound. I believe they could have saved both the alligator and the dogs if maybe they would have thought about it before they ran and got their guns.
I have been around them all of my life. Alligators are fine if they are 100% wild. But when fed by humans, they loose all fear. They are in several places that I fish in here. Some of these places are where the have been fed by people. At these sites they are very pesky at best. I could see one acting in a manner consistent with the story above. That said, if FFWC would have been called about this gator, the results would have been the same. In Florida, any problem gator over three feet in total length must be humanely killed. So it still would have been killed either way.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
kmurphy
Quote:
I dont see why killing the endangered american alligator
I am not trying to defend what this guy did because being so afraid of a 5 ft alligator seems ridiculous. But I don't think they are endangered. You may be thinking of the American Crocodile.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
old guy
no matter what Loxahatchee is a game

preserve if I remember correctly as I have been there and a sanctuary for the American Alligator while no longer and haven't been on a listed animal for more than a decade but still within the game preserve and possible out areas of the preserve. >>>>>>>>?

Old 06-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Rattlesnake
"But it was him or us," he said.

In a pigs eye. A 5' Alligator wasn't threatening anybody. All you idiots had to do was walk away and call the dogs. Then use your head and call a trapper or someone with the wildlife dept.

Running to get your gun so you can kill an animal, wow, what a little man you are.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
cowboyman13
Just in case everyone forgot whats been going on down here recently.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=alligator
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=alligator

I believe if you do a search there where over 3 deaths from attacks within the last couple of months here in FL. The links are a couple of threads about that posted here on the Herps In The News Forum.

A person has a legal right to protect there person, or property. The Gator was in there yard, and they felt threatend. With all the stuff in the news and papers about gators killing people i believe a little fear is understandable.

I helped an FWC Trapper catch one on the jobsite awhile back. He told me that any gator over 4' was not relocated but killed. The gator would have suffered the same fate either way.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
ms_terese
They live in FLORIDA, right? Where there are alligators?

Is the yard fenced? Did the alligator climb the fence to get in the yard? Can you not just call your dogs inside?

I'm not some screamin' PETA member claiming that the alligator's life is just as valuable as the human's (or dogs') life, but to me it would seem that if you live in an area heavily populated by alligators, you'd figure out a realistic way of dealing with them other than a gun.

I live in an area overrun with copperheads, cottonmouths, pygmy rattlesnakes, etc. I've yet to kill anything. I've relocated them, I've made sure I don't go outside barefoot, I've checked the yard before allowing my dogs/grandkids out to play, but I haven't killed anything.

If you don't want to learn how to deal with these animals, move to Wisconsin.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
FloridaHogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
They live in FLORIDA, right? Where there are alligators?

I live in an area overrun with copperheads, cottonmouths, pygmy rattlesnakes, etc. I've yet to kill anything. I've relocated them, I've made sure I don't go outside barefoot, I've checked the yard before allowing my dogs/grandkids out to play, but I haven't killed anything.

Well.....while it sounds good on paper, a 5 ft cottonmouth doesn't remove your arm from the elbow down. Nor does it AGGRESSIVELY protect its nest during breeding season. Nor does it look for easy meals when injured that can easily be the size of a child. If you don't live around a large predator, that at times can be unpredictable and aggressive, and can eat you, then please refrain from inflamatory comments. Yes, for those of us that live around alligators, we have learned how to cohabitate with them. But as stated before, thay can be very aggressive and unpredictable, especially during times of drought, as Florida is experiencing now. Waterholes have dried up and food is more scarce. So, you have 2 factors right now; 1) Breeding/Nesting Season 2) Drought. Please remember, we are talking about an animal that can maim you for life! There is no antivemon for an Alligator bite.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
varnyard
Here is a picture. I think it speaks for it self.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!