Q on supplementing diet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
omni
Q on supplementing diet

I've been wanting to get a cresty for a few months(they are so cute!), and have been doing some reading, but still have some Q's:

Instead of crickets, would I be ok to offer nymph B. lateralis roaches if it would eat them?

I plan on using Repashy's CGD as staple with calcium powder and some fruit as supplements. They may eat a variety of diff. fruits, but wondering if any would be not recommended to feed. Particularly bananas and strawberries since we get them already.

Can they hear?
Some areas of my house are noisy, some quiet but vibrations from doors, appliances and kids can be felt, and very few rooms that are super-peaceful. If I could, I'd house a gecko in the tv room, no bright lighting and usually noisy, but the carpet is thick and no vibrations there, so I thought maybe we could put a tank in there if they have no or little hearing.

I come across a lot of vague answers on longevity. A good petstore tells me 5-7yrs tops. A few websites say it is unknown since they've only been common in collections since the mid-90's. Another source says 10+.
Anybody have a good idea that has kept them for a long time?

Thanks for any advice, and recommendations on the best dedicated gecko forum I should visit, appreciated!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
houdini1
The Repashy diet is complete, so you aren't required to feed insects. Although I do and I find my cresties love them. Roaches and crickets are fine, as long as the prey is the right size. They really aren't too interested in worms, at least mine aren't.

As far as fruit goes, I would only feed it as a treat since the Crested Gecko diet is complete. Also I dust my crickets with Leopard Gecko dust every couple of weeks, and calcium once a week. My adults get insects once a week. Babies twice a week.

Noise levels at my house vary, with two dogs, a husband, and two small kids its always noisy unless they are all sleeping lol. The cresties really don't mind, they all eat and thrive like crazy.

I am not sure about longevity, I have always heard 10+ years, but like you said they haven't been in captivity long enough to give a really good definitive answer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!