Moving Gecko Eggs (Anyone ever get eggs on a plane?) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
WiteLeo
Warning! Moving Gecko Eggs (Anyone ever get eggs on a plane?)

I have to move 10+ Leo eggs on a plane from Greenville SC-Dallas TX in 2 weeks. I have been reading pages and pages on how to do this and I about have it all planned out, down to the plan Z almost.

I talked to a guy who got a snake in his shirt pocket on a plane...but was wondering if anyone has done this.

Here is a couple things I have to do...but still would love ANY tips.

-My Bator IS my Carry-On
-I have a small tackle box sized container for ALL of my eggs to rest in
-That box will go into my pillow
-All the guards are looking for is metal and drugs anyway
-Heat packs ready
-I have a Mobil temp gun with 5 foot line to keep track of temps at all times
-They will be in my site at ALL times so they don't flip or shake
-Can't think of everything because I'm tired and I don't feel like writing any more

Only other thing is to spend $100 on gas in my Jeep and drive witch will NOT work, trust me.
Or to ship them witch is even worse because they will flip over no matter how many stickers I put on it.

I know I forgot something to say...

Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Jodi L Aherns
I do not think this will work.Ship the eggs.Or drive them your self.I get eggs shipped to me once a year from Indo.they make it here just fine.The airports will not let you bring your bator as a carry on.Give me a call.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Jim O
Another option is to leave the eggs with someone local who can ship the hatchlings and the incubator to you in Texas after they hatch. That's what I would do.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
WiteLeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi L Aherns
I do not think this will work.Ship the eggs.Or drive them your self.I get eggs shipped to me once a year from Indo.they make it here just fine.The airports will not let you bring your bator as a carry on.Give me a call.
What are you talking about? The eggs won't be in my bator. I will just have the bator as a carry on so I will have it when I get to my house. If I don't bring it, ill have to wait a week for it in the moving truck.

Could you tell me how the eggs are shipped to you? If that works then I will do that. How do you keep them from getting flipped? How do you keep constant temps?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
hill4803
Hey Austin, where in SC are you? I am in Atlanta. I may be able to help you with your eggs. Email or PM me

Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
reptiler13
did you try to ask to someone on the airlines, i had to smuggle a snake my sister gave me but that is a different thing all together they would not let me transport a live reptile maybe they would let the eggs go never know (if you already asked never mind this post)

Old 07-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
montezuma
I don't know about eggs but I had absolutely no problem taking 2 Ailuronyx (similar to Grandis Day) and 5 Xenegamas from Orlando to Phoenix. I had them in a backpack which I asked the guards to take without sending it through the X-ray machine, they took the pack and looked through it. They were asking me all about the lizards and couldn't care less. I guess eggs may pose a different issue since it is a bit difficult to prove what they came from... for all they know its from an endangered bird.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
I don't know about eggs but I had absolutely no problem taking 2 Ailuronyx (similar to Grandis Day) and 5 Xenegamas from Orlando to Phoenix. I had them in a backpack which I asked the guards to take without sending it through the X-ray machine, they took the pack and looked through it. They were asking me all about the lizards and couldn't care less. I guess eggs may pose a different issue since it is a bit difficult to prove what they came from... for all they know its from an endangered bird.
You got lucky then. It is a strict violation of FAA rules to bring a live reptile inside the passenger compartment of a commercial airliner.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
montezuma
From the FAA:
Items that are permitted in the aircraft cabin include:

Pets (check with airline for procedures)
Walking canes and umbrellas (once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed)
Nail clippers
Safety razors (including disposable razors) (although I know of one situation when this, too, was confiscated)
Syringes (with medication and professionally printed label identifying medication or manufacturer's name)
Tweezers and eyelash curlers.

Not sure who told you they weren't allowed in the aircraft cause this is the same as what I read before I went to Fl. I do know that the airlines have their own set of rules... which are just that, rules not laws. Rules were meant to be broken!LOL

Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Jim O
A friend of mine is a TSA screener here in Norfolk and he told me that reptiles are considered "exotics" not pets. The pet rule applies to dogs and cats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!