How much is a genetic stripe boa worth? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
How much is a genetic stripe boa worth?

I'm puzzled by some ads posting genetic stripe boas for under $200. Some of the larger breeders are selling theirs (Clark origin) for $10,000 a pair or $4,000 for a lone male. What do people understand by genetic stripe, and what's the basis for their pricing system? As far as I understand genetci stripe is inherited as a simple recessive trait right? Again, to jump or not to jump?

Old 07-03-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
meretseger
To me the term genetic stripe should mean a simple recessive. This means the person would have to either gotten the animal from proven parents or done the work to prove the trait out themselves If the trait is line bred, or if it's an unproven striped animal, it should be indicated as such.
That being said, I know nothing about the trait in Boas except that it exsists.

Erin B.

Old 07-03-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
I haven't seen any stripes at those prices, but I don't make an effort to look for them either. I don't know if there's any difference in the strains, but Peter Kahl is getting $750-1000 for het albino genetic stripes and I believe $2500-3500 for albino genetic stripes, so unless there's something really special about the Clark like, those prices are way too high.

The main problem with stripes is, as you know, they can be genetic, or they can be the result of abnormal gestation temperatures. As far as I'm concerned unless you breed two stripes together and get all stripes, I'm not entirely convinced it's genetic.
I have a striped male for instance. This male was produced by a friend of mine from a pair of snakes that produced stripes every year, including at least one that was full head to tail striped.
I do not however label that snake as a genetic stripe, even though it would appear he probably is, and others with snakes from the same line do label them as such.
There's still the possibility that the mother was always kept the same way and had somewhat improper temperatures each year.

Another factor with striped boas is the degree of striping. Genetic stripe in this case doesn't mean it has to be a full stripe. Most common is a striped tail with the stripe extending varying amounts up the back. Fully striped specimens command a significantly higher price than partial stripes, even though both can be genetic.

I do not believe that all the ads claiming to be genetic stripe actually are, but unless you know the breeder and the bloodline, there's no way to tell for sure. It's just too easy to wind up with some stripes which are not genetic by exposing the gestating female to improper temperatures, whether intentional or not.
I also have a female hog isalnd boa with a striped tail. I have no reason at all to believe it is genetic though, and it was not claimed to be such when I purchased it.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
Dianne Johnson
Just for information, it is generally accepted that striping and other pattern abnormalities are not temperature related in boas. While temps do affect eggs, because the eggs are very suseptible to temperature fluctuations, live-bearers are able to thermoregulate and control their gestation temperatures. The exception to this would be anyone keeping their gravid boa at extremely high or low temps.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:33 PM   #5
meretseger
People probably do keep gravid boas at extremely high or low temps if they can sell the babies for a lot of $$$, even if some come out dead. I'm interested in this question because I have two mysteriously striped sand boas, and I'm waiting to see if they're genetic or not.

Erin B.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
So far there is agreement then that the trait is recessive and it takes at least a pair of recessive hetero for stripe to obtain genetic striped boas in the offspring. Another question. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a genetic striped Argentinian boa?

Regards.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:58 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Just for information, it is generally accepted that striping and other pattern abnormalities are not temperature related in boas.

The exception to this would be anyone keeping their gravid boa at extremely high or low temps.
So you're saying that temperature can cause striping, but it is generally accepted that it has no effect?

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind that contradictory statement, but regardless, temperature can cause striping in boas just as it can in pythons.
It doesn't require a constant high or low gestation temperature, just a short period under that condition at the right time. The same is true in pythons during incubation, it doesn't require a constant temperature that is out of range for the duration of incubation.
As another example, I have a female boa that was one of 5 neonates that survived from a clutch of 32. The female was kept at optium temperatures the entire time except for one 8 hour period when the cage temperature accidentally raised way out of the range. The other 27 babies were so severly kinked that they had to be euthanized.
The same sort of accident can result in other abnormalities including striping. It only has to occur at a point during embryonic development where they are vulnerable to the change.
Otherwise what would the explanation be for the striped boas that are plentiful, but never produce any striped offspring. I have no expectation whatsoever that I will reliably produce striped hog island boas, even though I have a female that does have a degree of striping.

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a genetic striped Argentinian boa?
I haven't myself, but that is not to say there has never been one.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:44 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
My concern is that I was looking at a couple of nice looking boas. According to the ad they are genetic stripe, although they are the product of crossbreeding a Colombian by an Argentinian. Anyone care to explain? They are pretty inexpensive too (under $200), that's why I wonder...

Old 07-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
BrianB
Re: Clark stripes. Could you be thinking of his Striated boas?

http://www.bobclark.com/d_learn.asp?id=108&cat=learn

If so, different mutation, and I think he and Mike Wilbanks have the whole project. If he's posting any on KS, then they could be the first public offering of the mutation, or at least an early one, so that'd explain the high price tag.

Re: The possible Argentine crosses: If you're just looking for nice boas, without any intent of breeding them, then they're worth whatever you're willing to pay. I'd pay 200 for any nice-looking normal boa. However, if you plan to breed, I'd steer clear of anything of uncertain parentage, especially where subspecific crosses are concerned. I'm not opposed too strongly to crosses within a subspecies, but crossing out BCI to BCO puts me off, as the BCO are threatened or endangered (not sure which, but not many left, IOW) in the wild. Crosses are a hot enough topic that I'd be inclined to avoid them in breeding projects. Just MHO, YMMV, etc.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:15 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Brian,

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of crossbreeding either. The point I was trying to make though is that I don't see how you can end-up with a genetic stripe boa (actually showing the stripe) by crossing a BCO with a BCI, considering the trait is recessive. I'm not aware of genetic striping in BCO (although I might have missed it), and if there was, even when a crossbred they should be far more expensive than a meager $200.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!