You thought you had a bad day? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
JColt
You thought you had a bad day?

Hikers are rescued, then drive to their deaths in Atlantic Ocean off Maine

Two lost hikers who had just been rescued during a driving rainstorm in a Maine state park died after they took a wrong turn and drove their van into the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said Wednesday.

Rescue diver Travis Preston, a Jonesboro, Maine, firefighter, hooks up a minivan in the water on the boat ramp at the scene of a double fatal accident Tuesday evening July 23, 2013, in Roque Bluffs, Maine.

The women — identified as Amy Stiner of Machias, Maine, who was five months pregnant, and Melissa Moyer of Sunbury, Pa. — were found dead in the back of the van about 175 feet from shore in Pond Cove near Roque Bluffs State Park on Tuesday night, the Washington County Sheriff's Department said.

Their dog was also dead, the sheriff's department said.

According to the sheriff's report, the women got lost while hiking in the park about 9 p.m. ET in heavy wind and rain. A member of a local search rescue service found the women and their dog, and state wildlife wardens drove them back to their van.

About an hour later, the Warden Service got a call that the women had driven their car into the water about a mile from where they had last been seen, the sheriff's report said.

The Portland Press-Herald reported that the call came from the women themselves, who managed to report that the van was filling with water before their cellphone went dead.

Search teams found the van underwater about 175 feet off a boat ramp at Pond Cove.

"The end of the road becomes the boat landing, and they just weren't familiar with it," Sheriff Donnie Smith told the Press-Herald. "It was foggy and rainy, and they literally drove off the boat landing right into the water."

Smith told the newspaper that the van likely was found so far from shore because it floated for a while before sinking. The women were in the back seat because the front of the van would have sunk first and the women would have retreated to the back, he said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...off-maine?lite

Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Mistyck
Wait...Who goes hiking at night, especially in a place you don't know that well? Then when they were rescued the first time, why didn't they stay with the rescuers and follow them out, instead of trying to find their way out on their own...

Why do I sense Darwin at work here?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
JColt
I believe they got lost during the day and found at 9pm. Sad but I don't think in my worst ever drunken state would I ever had been able to top this one, lol.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Mistyck
Ok...so go hiking during day, get found at night, in rain. Rescuer helps me to vehicle, but I don't follow rescuer out...while it's raining...I'd rather do it myself. Get lost because I don't know area, and it's raining, so wind up driving into lake...make phone call because car filling with water...

Yep Darwin had a hand in this one.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Magic
You just can't cheat the Reaper.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
You just can't cheat the Reaper.

US man attacked by shark has survived lightning strike, snake bite

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226693412008

ThE shark attacked as Erik Norrie was swimming in 1.5m of water, bearing a spear with which he had just lanced a grouper.

He felt teeth crunching into his left leg. "As I looked back, he was just finishing his bite and ripping and swimming off, and you could see a piece of my leg in his mouth."

Some of us would have been traumatised by this experience. For Mr Norrie, however, the shark bite was only his latest brawl with the natural world.

He told a television station in Tampa, Florida, that before suffering the indignity of seeing a fish swimming away with a portion of his calf, he had been struck by lightning.

He had been bitten on his other leg by a rattlesnake and had had a violent scrap with a monkey. He had apparently been punched, on two occasions, by a primate.

All of these incidents may have allowed him to put the shark bite into perspective, though Mr Norrie, 40, also credited his family and his Christian faith with helping him to remain calm as the water through which he was swimming turned bloody.

He was swimming back to a boat that was drifting near the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas.

"My first reaction was, 'Aarrhhh!', he said. "There was an enormous pool of blood around me and the shark was swimming all through the blood, sort of looking around, for more."

He placed a rubber band from the spear shaft around his leg as a tourniquet. A doctor who happened to be nearby, helped him ashore. "The Lord kept my head cool," Mr Norrie said. "I really did think I was going to die."

A spokeswoman at Tampa General Hospital said that Mr Norrie was well travelled and had led an adventurous lifestyle.

He had been a keen spear fisherman since the age of eight.

He was unable to speak of his experiences yesterday as he was undergoing surgery, although, speaking on television before the operation, he noted that he had lost weight.

"It's called the shark-bite diet, you can lose 2lb (one kilogram) in three seconds." In that sense, at least, it is preferable to being punched by a monkey.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post

US man attacked by shark has survived lightning strike, snake bite

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226693412008

ThE shark attacked as Erik Norrie was swimming in 1.5m of water, bearing a spear with which he had just lanced a grouper.

He felt teeth crunching into his left leg. "As I looked back, he was just finishing his bite and ripping and swimming off, and you could see a piece of my leg in his mouth."

Some of us would have been traumatised by this experience. For Mr Norrie, however, the shark bite was only his latest brawl with the natural world.

He told a television station in Tampa, Florida, that before suffering the indignity of seeing a fish swimming away with a portion of his calf, he had been struck by lightning.

He had been bitten on his other leg by a rattlesnake and had had a violent scrap with a monkey. He had apparently been punched, on two occasions, by a primate.

All of these incidents may have allowed him to put the shark bite into perspective, though Mr Norrie, 40, also credited his family and his Christian faith with helping him to remain calm as the water through which he was swimming turned bloody.

He was swimming back to a boat that was drifting near the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas.

"My first reaction was, 'Aarrhhh!', he said. "There was an enormous pool of blood around me and the shark was swimming all through the blood, sort of looking around, for more."

He placed a rubber band from the spear shaft around his leg as a tourniquet. A doctor who happened to be nearby, helped him ashore. "The Lord kept my head cool," Mr Norrie said. "I really did think I was going to die."

A spokeswoman at Tampa General Hospital said that Mr Norrie was well travelled and had led an adventurous lifestyle.

He had been a keen spear fisherman since the age of eight.

He was unable to speak of his experiences yesterday as he was undergoing surgery, although, speaking on television before the operation, he noted that he had lost weight.

"It's called the shark-bite diet, you can lose 2lb (one kilogram) in three seconds." In that sense, at least, it is preferable to being punched by a monkey.

Now that just sounds like karma. Lol!!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
jmp745
who goes hiking while 5 months pregnant? Its undoubtedly a tragedy, but really. Who is in a sinking car, and decides to call the police? Like they have a rescue crew hiding in the bushes waiting for them to need help. Open the door or roll down the window and start swimming. They must have really been panicking not to be able to think that one out. It seems like the 911 operator would have told them to go for it.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
Two lost hikers who had just been rescued during a driving rainstorm in a Maine state park died after they took a wrong turn and drove their van into the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said Wednesday.
That does it. I'm updating my GPS maps. Right. Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp745 View Post
who goes hiking while 5 months pregnant?
Spoken like a man.

At five months, you're typically barely showing. The swaybacked, carrying an extra thousand pounds look doesn't come until later. I was riding horses until I was six months, and hiking up until a few weeks before I plopped mine out. Healthy muscles make for much easier delivery.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Mistyck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp745 View Post
who goes hiking while 5 months pregnant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Spoken like a man.

At five months, you're typically barely showing. The swaybacked, carrying an extra thousand pounds look doesn't come until later. I was riding horses until I was six months, and hiking up until a few weeks before I plopped mine out. Healthy muscles make for much easier delivery.

I was working doing manual labor right up until I was 9 months pregnant. So yes, you can go hiking when you're 5 months pregnant. It's actually advised to work out while you're pregnant. Makes for a healthier momma and baby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!